What do you think of this channel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I love his videos. There are many things that resembles my way of thinking when it comes to fish and tank keeping. Many things that he does go against the rules we would get at forums. But he works the way how it works in free nature. And that's basically what I do as well. It causes low maintenance. We say the same things when it comes to that issue. And let's be honest, we have less problems than most people who are dealing with fish, plants and tank problems. One golden rule is when a tank is balanced don't overdo things just because you can. For that's a problem that is caused by multiple people who give advice on things. A good balanced tank doesn't need such a frequent water change.

Don't get me wrong. Giving advice to others is a good thing. But with all that's on the market these days, people think it's all needed. Most of the new things are not needed to keep a tank going well. Back in the days, things went much better with fishtanks because things were kept basic. Nowadays youngsters have grown up with gadgets. And they must all have them. This goes for the various new tank equipment as well. But let's be honest (the older aquarists know what I'm talking about), with all the new tank gadgets, and to the thought that tank water should be as clear as possible (while a slight color of tank water means a more healthier tank than absolutely clear tank water), does create more tank problems. The proof are all the frequent tank issues people got nowadays.

Perfectly put @emeraldking

After 2 years in the hobby, the one thing I've learned for sure is that a heavily planted tank should be the norm for everyone
Well, not always. There are fish in free nature that live in waters without any vegetation. But a lot of vegetation won't hurt by all means...

Perfectly put @emeraldking

After 2 years in the hobby, the one thing I've learned for sure is that a heavily planted tank should be the norm for everyone

Absolutely not. Tanks should, ideally, reflect the natural biotope of the fish. Not all fish live in planted areas. Some live among rocks, among roots, or out in open water, etc etc.

I have an issue with the idea that we can perfectly replicate nature and create a self sustaining ecosystem in our glass boxes of water. Because nature is not an enclosed system. People who follow this method don't do water changes. That's not how nature works. Bodies of water in nature are either constantly getting massive water changes. Or they are much much much larger in scale so that the proportion of water to fish is much greater than a home aquarium. People say they don't do water changes and their fish are fine. Are they? How would they know? Are the fish writing them a thank you card?
I get the idea of creating a balanced system. But if you're adding food to the tank, then you don't have balance anymore.

I love his videos. There are many things that resembles my way of thinking when it comes to fish and tank keeping. Many things that he does go against the rules we would get at forums. But he works the way how it works in free nature. And that's basically what I do as well. It causes low maintenance. We say the same things when it comes to that issue. And let's be honest, we have less problems than most people who are dealing with fish, plants and tank problems. One golen rule is when a tank is balanced don't overdo things because you can. For that's a problem that is caused by multiple people who give advice on things. A good balanced tank doesn't need such a frequent water change.

Don't get me wrong. Giving advice to others is a good thing. But with all that's on the market these days, people think it's all needed. Most of the new things are not needed to keep a tank going well. Back in the days, things went much better with fishtanks because things were kept basic. Nowadays youngsters have grown up with gadgets. And they must all have them. This goes for the various new tank equipment as well. But let's be honest (the older aquarists know what I'm talking about), with all the new tank gadgets, and to the thought that tank water should be as clear as possible (while a slight color of tank water means a more healthier tank than absolutely clear tank water), does create more tank problems. The proof are all the frequent tank issues people got nowadays.
I have more gadgets for aquariums now than I do for golf. As you say, though, for years I kept fish without much knowledge- the same stuff I learned when I was 12- and did just fine with less than half the work I put into it now.

What I've found, now, though, is that I really enjoy fiddling around with them- I really enjoy trying different things etc. I also create problems for myself- mostly with the plants- the fish are pretty easy (IMHO) as long as I keep the water clean (over-filtration) and basic water parameters right.

The worst thing I do with the fish is overfeed. I try not too, but I can't help but apply some anthropomorphism to the fish - "ooh, try some blood worms," or "I have a treat for you guys today, it's brine shrimp time!" and who can forget "it's tubiflex Tuesday!" (that's a real thing).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back