What Do You Like Better?

I like them both. I like that livebearer fry are already pretty big and strong from the get-go.
But I also like the challenge of egg layers. Haven't had any luck w/ cories, but the danios we used to have used to scatter eggs ALL the time and we'd frequently see little tiny fry swimming around trying not to get eaten :P
 
That's a good point, matchstickman47. Egg laying fish can have various different methods and present many different challanges.

I like to raise my corys, which are egg layers, but am hoping for success with my limias again. Since it's been awhile, I am appreciating livebearers all over again. :D

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=281202
 
Livebearers are great, but in too many cases, it's all too easy to wind up with overpopulation problems, especially once every possible home/store has been saturated with little cuties.
With egg layers in a community tank, it's such a pleasant surprise when one or a few fry, quicker and more fortunate than the rest, survives - and much easier to provide homes for them within one's own tanks.
Of course, I speak only as an accidental breeder with limited (sniffle) room...
If I won the lottery and had the sprawling, cement-slab-based home of my dreams, the one with the automatic water-change system and whatnot, there are a number of interesting livebearers I wouldn't mind having, but not in my current limited circumstances.
So - tough call...
 
livebearers are great to start off..
they teach you about caring for fry..
but egg layers are more of a good feeling when they breed :good:
 
the only livebearers I have time for are rays..... so not all are easy LOL

egg layers are much more of a challenge
 

Most reactions

Back
Top