What Do You Hate Most About Your Computer?

SLC Flyfishing

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads documenting the things that people love about their computers. But I've never seen a post where someone mentions a shortcoming of their system or something that annoys them. I thought it might be interesting to hear what you all have, and also thought that if people put some of their grievances out there, perhaps someone else will have already met and conquered that issue and can be of assistance.

So for me I'm getting terribly annoyed with how hot this laptop gets, in only 5 or so minutes it's processor is up to 137 degrees celcius. I'm also not too happy with the software selection out there (I'm on an Apple Macbook).

So what do you have? What problems have you experienced/are experiencing?

SLC

Our office computer or main computer, what ever you want to call it :rolleyes: . It isn't a specific brand, was originally built by my dad shortly after he graduated from collage over 20 years ago. It has had parts replaced and updated as the years go by, but a couple months ago it really crashed. The best I could describe it as is computer seizures, windows would fail every time we tried to install it or the computer would crash. We finally gave up on that computer about a month ago :rip: . My dad has now assembled a new computer, similar to the old one, so again no brand name. The CPU case is a Antec Solo, but that doesn't really mean anything. I don't know what is inside of it, but it runs windows.

I hate having to use pathetic microsoft programs at work. After 2 years on Linux at home, and now having a pair of apple laptops, I really do notice the horrendous tripe that Microsoft get paid to produce. Still, at least I have Outlook and not Lotus Notes...

With the Linux I get annoyed when a new update freezes me out or suddenly loses me the ability to look at the internet (had an episode where I could ping any site in the world, but could only actually browse Google, IBM, Cisco and the University of Aberystwyth). But you can always balance the fact it is free.

The Firefox on the mac is annoying as it is a memory hog and slows the computer down a bit. I also don't like the continued attempts of iTunes to stop me having songs I own as ringtones for my iPhone without making me pay once to buy the song and a second time to buy it as a ringtone. With the computer itself I have very few, if any, issues noted in the 4 or so months I have had it (save that noted above of having to go back to windows for work).

So for me I'm getting terribly annoyed with how hot this laptop gets, in only 5 or so minutes it's processor is up to 137 degrees celcius. I'm also not too happy with the software selection out there (I'm on an Apple Macbook).

I had similar issues there. I downloaded smcFanControl. You can set the fans to always run a little bit faster and massively help cooling the computer without excessive noise or power drain.

Not too sure if there is something similar if you are on pre-intel chipsets though.

SLC
Ahh, thats the only complaint I could ever make about my apple powerbook. My legs are currently very toasty as I always put my lap top....well.... on my lap :rolleyes:

Andy-Cheers for the fan link, I might try it out. I have never noticed any problems with mozilla firefox being slow, but I usually run on safari, I use firefox for working on web pages.

Drew

I have an old dell inspiron 1300 laptop, and I hate that it's battery no longer charges.

Software wise, I hate iTune's for making decisions to delete or move music seemingly on its own, but prefer it to WMP in nearly every other respect (plus I use it with my iPod).

I hate that my computer has stopped connecting to my xbox through windows media connect, for no reason.

Other than that, my laptops still great for me. Though I've just got a brand new Dell latitude...something, but minus the hard drive, so I'll be upgrading after christmas :D.

I have an old dell inspiron 1300 laptop, and I hate that it's battery no longer charges.

I've seen that problem on a lot of Dells, it's usually nothing more than a loose power connector pin on the motherboard that needs re soldering.

And thanks Andywg for the link I'll be checking that out now.

SLC

andywg
I hate having to use pathetic microsoft programs at work. After 2 years on Linux at home, and now having a pair of apple laptops, I really do notice the horrendous tripe that Microsoft get paid to produce. Still, at least I have Outlook and not Lotus Notes...

gota agree with that.

My screensaver doesn't work... none of them do. I have no idea why. And I have no idea how to fix it.

What I hate about my computer.. Mainly I hate that at the time I built it the X1900XTX cards where the best you could get (have two in cross fire mode). Then two weeks after I built it it was announced that DX10 would not be backwards compatibile and would require DX10 specific hardware.

What I hate about my computer.. Mainly I hate that at the time I built it the X1900XTX cards where the best you could get (have two in cross fire mode). Then two weeks after I built it it was announced that DX10 would not be backwards compatibile and would require DX10 specific hardware.

on the bright side, microsoft are going to do a version of dx10 for XP

I hate that my computer shuts itself off if it's left idle for more than 15 minutes :X

Nothing that i can think of, it is brand new. But are old one has theese problem's:
Very slow
Internet is slow, even though we have broadband
You cant have a username passwowrd
Ohhhhhhh, takes age's to turn on and off.

There's nothing i can think of, but:

With my Laptop, it's the heat, and Vista - when it starts reporting random errors ever now and then.

With my two desktop's running XP Home, nothing.

I hate that my computer shuts itself off if it's left idle for more than 15 minutes :X

this should be easily fixed. go to control panel and then click "power options" this will give you the options that will solve this problem.

I Hate My Computer Because....

.... It rules my life! :blush:

I spend 8 hours a day in front of them then go home and spend another few hours on one - normally keeping upto date with this place and other forums... I even selected where we moved to by whether or not the area had broadband!

Most reactions

Back