Where do you get your wood and rocks?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My rocks are from beaches ( a field guide helps for finding inert rocks). My wood is local hardwood.

I get my wood mostly online but some comes from other fishkeepers. A couple of months back I invested in some giant pieces, most of which can be used both upright (in very deep ptanks) or on their side. Some will go into my pleco breeding tanks and others I will sell as I do not need them all.

Since Covid finding wood has not been easy. I got the big stuff from another hobbyist. He posted it on Monsterfishkeepers forum. I drove 2 hours each way to get it. But I am a bit nuts sometimes.

I get my wood mostly online but some comes from other fishkeepers. A couple of months back I invested in some giant pieces, most of which can be used both upright (in very deep ptanks) or on their side. Some will go into my pleco breeding tanks and others I will sell as I do not need them all.

Since Covid finding wood has not been easy. I got the big stuff from another hobbyist. He posted it on Monsterfishkeepers forum. I drove 2 hours each way to get it. But I am a bit nuts sometimes.
I think that COVID has also had an impact on finding fish, especially wild caught. May seem off the wall but many wild caught cichlids are from areas that would be considered third world. I wonder how many gatherers were knocked out by COVID.

I think that COVID has also had an impact on finding fish, especially wild caught. May seem off the wall but many wild caught cichlids are from areas that would be considered third world. I wonder how many gatherers were knocked out by COVID.
It definitely has in my local fish stores dwarf Chain loaches where once 3 for £15 now it's 3 for £107 and they keep going up and up.

I always buy wood and stone at my local store. I like to personally pick out the size and shape which is near impossible online.

I just ran into this topic, and as a semi-beginner rockhound and new fish owner, I was curious about rocks in aquariums myself.

Now, I can be wrong, but it seems to me some of the locations people are picking up rocks may not be the best idea. I have many basic specimens from local forests, etc that I have cleaned with a toothbrush and soap and many STILL have gunk in them that may very well leach out into aquarium water. I don't know if boiling would help or not...

Also, I thought rocks from ocean areas were a big NO-NO for freshwater aquariums?

Another also, many types of rocks react to certain chemicals and liquids... and rocks are made up of different minerals, not all of which react the same to those chemicals.

I guess I am over-thinking this topic, but I do find it interesting as it encompasses two I am trying to learn about!

I guess I am over-thinking this topic, but I do find it interesting as it encompasses two I am trying to learn about!
Don't think you are over-thinking.

A few things to consider:

1) Calcareous Rocks will affect the pH and buffer, typically not an issue in hard water tanks but can be in softwater tanks such as many South American biome type tanks with tetras and south american Ciclids. That said I have placed limestone in a softwater tank but with frequent water changes it did not affect the pH or GH much. Likely if you are starting you don't want to start with calcareous rocks. A simple acid test will let you know if that is an issue. I use full strength Muriatic acid (HCL), if it fizzes a lot it is very reactive rock, if it fizzes only lightly it is not very reactive. Muriatic acid is strong enough to cause chemical burns, so be warned.

2) Avoid rocks with metallic crystals, such as the various pyrites. These rocks can release acids and other contaminants into the water, best to avoid. Note some slates have a lot of pyrite in them but others have none.

3) Sedimentary rocks are typically not the best choice, unless they are calcareously or siliceously cemented they have a tendency to break down. I usually use metamorphic or igneous rocks. Limestone in the right situation is an exception and can be OK.

4) Saltwater sourced rocks are OK if rinsed. I soak mine in water for a bit but I have used rocks from the ocean without issue.

5) Avoid rocks from salt flats, areas with high agricultural or industrial run off, or pesticide use. You could probably safely clean them but why take the risk.

6) Don't remove rocks from parks, or protected areas. It's embarrassing when you get caught :)

Overall, many of the rocks I collect end up in a tank at some time. I have had obsidian, jaspers, chalcedeney, limestone, various lavas, chert, gneiss, phyllite.... all in my tanks at one time or another without issue. I treat all my rocks with peroxide or bleach before use, just to insure they are clean, don't use bleach on porous rock. There are some special rocks that might be specific to a region you should be concerned with, for example Arsenopyrite is a rock I collected from the eastern seaboard, it is not a rock you would want to put in your tank, but again you would see crystals with a metallic luster.

With using rocks, you collect you do take on a bit more of a risk but, if you know what you are collecting and you have a bit of understanding about the chemistry of the rocks you have, I feel the risk is pretty low.

Don't think you are over-thinking.

A few things to consider:

1) Calcareous Rocks will affect the pH and buffer, typically not an issue in hard water tanks but can be in softwater tanks such as many South American biome type tanks with tetras and south american Ciclids. That said I have placed limestone in a softwater tank but with frequent water changes it did not affect the pH or GH much. Likely if you are starting you don't want to start with calcareous rocks. A simple acid test will let you know if that is an issue. I use full strength Muriatic acid (HCL), if it fizzes a lot it is very reactive rock, if it fizzes only lightly it is not very reactive. Muriatic acid is strong enough to cause chemical burns, so be warned.

2) Avoid rocks with metallic crystals, such as the various pyrites. These rocks can release acids and other contaminants into the water, best to avoid. Note some slates have a lot of pyrite in them but others have none.

3) Sedimentary rocks are typically not the best choice, unless they are calcareously or siliceously cemented they have a tendency to break down. I usually use metamorphic or igneous rocks. Limestone in the right situation is an exception and can be OK.

4) Saltwater sourced rocks are OK if rinsed. I soak mine in water for a bit but I have used rocks from the ocean without issue.

5) Avoid rocks from salt flats, areas with high agricultural or industrial run off, or pesticide use. You could probably safely clean them but why take the risk.

6) Don't remove rocks from parks, or protected areas. It's embarrassing when you get caught :)

Overall, many of the rocks I collect end up in a tank at some time. I have had obsidian, jaspers, chalcedeney, limestone, various lavas, chert, gneiss, phyllite.... all in my tanks at one time or another without issue. I treat all my rocks with peroxide or bleach before use, just to insure they are clean, don't use bleach on porous rock. There are some special rocks that might be specific to a region you should be concerned with, for example Arsenopyrite is a rock I collected from the eastern seaboard, it is not a rock you would want to put in your tank, but again you would see crystals with a metallic luster.

With using rocks, you collect you do take on a bit more of a risk but, if you know what you are collecting and you have a bit of understanding about the chemistry of the rocks you have, I feel the risk is pretty low.
Not going to lie… you sound like my science teacher from way back when. One geology unit we had to do something called ‘the rock test’… they lined up 30 rocks (we didn’t know what they were going to be) and write down the name, mineral composition, type, etc… and you had to get 100% to pass! Every time you failed you just had to redo the next lesson… every time I walk past one I know now, my mind instantly goes ‘QUARTZITE! METAMORPHIC!’ or whatever… 😂 It does come in handy when choosing aquarium rocks, though, as it means I know which ones’ll do fine and which won’t (generally speaking…)

I am in the states, but I get most of my roacks and slate from a local stone and gravel yard. They sell river rounds which come in a variety of colors and are smooth. The usually also sell flagstones. I wander though that area collecting the scraps that have broken or sheared off to use in my tanks.

Himmel-riverrock-1.jpg

I get some other rocks I have used as well, but one needs to be sure they are safe in a tank first.
One of the local fish stores sells river rock for $2.50 a pound. I went to a local home and garden store and asked how much it was for river rock. Guy said "50 cents a ton". I was like "...whut?". He ended up charging me more for the bag he gave me for them than the rocks I got.

I would pay more in gas and tolls going to a beech or mountain to collect rocks. From the local yard I drive 5 minutes, take 10 to select my rocks and slate scraps and pay $10 or 15$ and come home where I rinse them well (I may use a brush or not) and into tanks. And it may be illegal to collect the stuff from public lands and from private lands can get you shot these days......

That is something I've been thinking about. I've been considering scooping up pebbles from a creek bed to use as substrate. The creek is right behind my apartments so it would be convenient. The problem is that the creek is also part of a nature reserve so it would probably not be legal to do. If I end up doing it I think I'll play it safe and drive a bit and harvest from the creek outside of the reserve.

I would pay more in gas and tolls going to a beech or mountain to collect rocks. From the local yard I drive 5 minutes, take 10 to select my rocks and slate scraps and pay $10 or 15$ and come home where I rinse them well (I may use a brush or not) and into tanks. And it may be illegal to collect the stuff from public lands and from private lands can get you shot these days....
Where's the fun in that. Collecting rocks is a hobby for me. I live in Canada, so I am not too worried about being shot, but even in the US you are typically allowed to collect 25 lbs + 1 rock (say it's a boulder you really want that is 150 lbs) on BLM lands. Unfortunately for the easterners there is a lot more land in the BLM in the Western US. In Canada it is considered prospecting.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back