What Do You Do With Your New Fish?

tim1

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
What do you guys do with your new fish? Do you put it into quarantine for a few days/a week, or do you just put it into the tank with no worries?
 
i don't quarantine, not got space for a Q tank anywhere. I'm v picky about the fish that I buy though and places I buy them from. Not had any fish bring in diseases for a good few years now.
 
Depends on the fish and tank they are destined for. All discus go through quarrenteen, along with most other fish going into the duscus community. All other fish go strait to the respective tanks :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
as Miss Wiggle says, i also don't have the space for a Q tank, but have a very good look at the fish in the shop before i buy them. touch wood i haven't had a problem for many years now.
most problems can be seen in a fish in the tank before you buy.
if it acts a bit quiet or sulky or the fins aren't standing out well, then the chances are its not worth the risk.
 
I would probably quarintine them if I had a spare tank, but I don't so I just put them in my tank. I spend about 20 minutes in the shop just looking at the fish before I buy and pick the one or ones that look the healthiest.
 
2 weeks quar from a known breeder, meaning I have personally seen their setup recently. 4+ weeks quar from anywhere else.
 
People should take note of Tolak's regime. Quarantine of a few days or 1 week is pointless as it can miss things like ich. I would agree a 2 week minimum and 4 week standard if you are going to quarantine, otherwise you might as well throw them straight in.
 
I'm setting up a QT tank right now and from now on I'll QTing all my fish for 4 weeks before they go in the main tank. Just a 15 gallon rubbermaid tub I'm setting up under my main tank. Sponge filter, old 50w heater. Nothing fancy.
 
No QT for me just slow acclimatise! So far so good, touch wood!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top