What Do You Do When Your Filter Isn't Working?

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
792
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
My fluval 305 seems to be on the verge of breaking (the output is flowing really slowly even after cleaning it) and it's still under warentee but it's not like my fish can wait 3 weeks while i send it off to the manufacturers.

What do you do in a situation like this?
 
Probably the best bet is to try and pick up a cheap second filter and transfer all the filter media to it. It never hurts to have a spare filter on hand. An internal fliter might be cheaper and depending on what one you get you could most likely just remove the foam pads in it and chuck your bio media in there instead.

Worst case situation you could make an internal box/sponge type filter and fill it with the bio media (have a look in the DIY section as are instructions in there on how to make one).

Basically you just need to get your bio media into the tank and get the water running over it to keep it working.

You might want to check the fluval again, make sure it is primed properly and that the lid is sealed correctly. Once it is filled with water gently rock it from side to side and then use the priming pump to pump out any air bubbles. Also make sure it isn't over filled with media. There might be someone near you on here that can lend you a filter as well. I'm down in SE kent and most likely have a spare one I can dig out if your anywhere near.
 
Thanks for the offer! How much meadia is too much?? Because it is possible that it's overfilled. I didn't realise external canisters could be overfilled!
 
The 305 has 3 baskets doesnt it?

Try taking out everything except the biomedia and have that in 1 or two basket, this shouldnt restrict any flow. If it is too much media restricting the flow then it most likely will just be too much filter wool in there (its pretty hard to overfill it with any other media but compacted filter wool can restict the water flow quite a bit).
 
I don't have wool but I do have peat and these clearmax granules which may restrict the flow. I'll try that and if it is the media I may get another small filter so I can fit all the media I want :)

Thanks
 
I'm near Heathrow if thats any nearer, i've got a spare Eheim 2215 sitting unused in the garage if you do need to borrow a filter for a few weeks.

Peat does compact down quite a lot and isn't really suited to canister filters, its better to run a small air powered box filter in the tank with the peat in if you need it.
 
I'm near Heathrow if thats any nearer, i've got a spare Eheim 2215 sitting unused in the garage if you do need to borrow a filter for a few weeks.

Peat does compact down quite a lot and isn't really suited to canister filters, its better to run a small air powered box filter in the tank with the peat in if you need it.

Thanks, that's really nice of you, I've just found a fluval 304 on ebay for £35 including delivery so i bought that. I kinda needed another filter anyway i guess because i have more media i wanna put in than baskets!

Thanks again, may have to take one of you up on that if it breaks completely before the new filter arrives! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top