What Do Feed My Dwarf Gourami Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, my DG fry are now 11 days old and I have been feeding infusoria. I believe they should be moving to baby brine shrimp now but I am not too sure on how you get these. I would rather buy, than raise the shrimp. Any ideas.

Hi all, my DG fry are now 11 days old and I have been feeding infusoria. I believe they should be moving to baby brine shrimp now but I am not too sure on how you get these. I would rather buy, than raise the shrimp. Any ideas.

Tony... I would strongly recommend that you find out more about hatching and feeding live brine shrimp..... it is not at all difficult and you do not "raise" them..... merely hatch them in a salt water sollution..... syphon them off and then feed them to your fish.... It is easy enough.

Tony... I would strongly recommend that you find out more about hatching and feeding live brine shrimp..... it is not at all difficult and you do not "raise" them..... merely hatch them in a salt water sollution..... syphon them off and then feed them to your fish.... It is easy enough.

Cheers Ludwig, as long as it no hassle I will adopt your suggestion. I presume the LFS will sell the necessary stuff?

What I do Tony…. I cut off the bottom of a 2L plastic bottle ….. make a hole in the bottle (screw-on) top just big enough for plastic tubing to fit tightly through this hole… connect the other end of the tubing to an airpump & switch it on (vigorous aeration)…. I fill the bottle (upside down of course) with tap water and add 4 table spoons of course salt into the water……

I then insert the bottle (upside down again) into a tank and clamp it on 2 sides (along the brim) in a corner of the tank using ordinary air tubing clamps…. After about 2 hours … I add 1 level teaspoon of Brine Shrimp eggs to the bubbling water ……

That is it……. Some 28 hours later (at 27 deg C)….. I clamp the aeration inlet tube to stop the airflow into the bottle and allow the water to settle….. After a while…. You will notice thousands of live BS accumulating at the lightest end of the bottle….. Now, you simply syphon them off through a linen handkerchief into a jug…. (be careful not to suck up any of the unhatched eggs)…..

Rinse the collected shrimps from the hanky into your tank with fry …. Pour the water from the jug back into your bottle and re-open the aeration… 24 hours later…. There will be some more to syphon off……

Repeat the whole process when you notice no more live Bs in your bottle when the airflow is switched off……

So… all you really need to buy is the coarse salt and brine shrimp eggs…..

+1 on Ludwigs advice. I have a batch of bout 200 Jack Dempsey fry and have been using this method for bout month now. Actually just weaned the little guys onto dry food. I highly recommend using BBS. YOu can buy eggs online or at the LFS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back