What Did I Get Myself Into?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, we don't usually bother about ridiculous :) Moderators are capable of that as well ;)

Warnings are usually issued when members post things that other members find offensive or nasty. Things like insulting another member, using aggressive language etc.
We usually tell members who use bad language that it is not acceptable, and only issue warning points if they continue to use it - we do have to take into account that some words are offensive in some parts of the world but not in others. We sometimes need to explain that language which may be acceptable in an adult-only context is not acceptable on TFF as we have some very young members.

I have been a moderator for 18 months and I think I've only issued 2 warnings in that time. We don't have the same issues that other forums have.

I will only add that the few members who were banned since I have ben a mod (18 months) were done so after members reported and complained about them. In other words, let us know if something is against forum rules or getting out of hand. We can then monitor things before a full blown fire erupts. It’s your forum, not just the Mods. You are often the first eyes to spot a problem. Don’t argue, report it. I think I can speak on behalf of all the mods when I say our forum is special because we have great members. The bad apples always end up leaving. :)

I'm a bad apple (or a pear) and I'm still here :p
That’s because you agree to stay in your dungeon and not rot the rest of the apples. Seriously, you are a very special part of ths forum.
Oops, basement, not dungeon and with the goblins, not gremlins. :)

Aha.....this is the thread.....popped up in an email....

My opinion on heavy water changes is this....

You can do 75% changes. I wouldn't say every week. You can do it if ya do it correctly. Usually to correct an imbalance in the tank. Otherwise, if you must, 25% is enough. We know how much I do and how often...haha.

For the disagreements......

There are a handful of folks here, well intentioned I am sure, who are stuck in their experiences, and are like hammers looking at nails sticking up in a.deck. Sometimes it takes a while to get these folks out of their shells. It is hard.to remember that we are across a globe. Various experiences. Various issues. Some new, some old schoolers. We need to keep an open mind to others ideas. Sometimes, what you don't see anything wrong with, will rub someone the wrong way. Friction is.good. It creates education. But there is no need for name calling. Even the guys firing.up their BBQ's in their living rooms. Nature will handle them. There is no reason to try and subvert natural selection in those cases. We can only hope they are talkin a gas grill and they have a window cracked open, or they will win the darwin.award. Calling them idiots will serve nothing more than ones own ego.

Also....it is quite.difficult to read words on a.screen how they are intended to land without inflection. What could be an innocent jab attempt at comedy may land.on the other screen as hostility. Now, we cannot be held liable for someone elses gig, but, we can all remember to take what we read with a grain. So long as someone isn't directly firing at you, with obvious ill intent, well, it's sill to get upset on the internet. It's not like anyone is gonna.step out and.discuss it like adults eh?

Don't be silly folks.

Change out yer water however you want. They your fishies. Like Colin said, you'll know you have an issue when you are filling the tank. Been there, done that. It happens pretty quickly. I suspect if you can do a 20% without issue, you will be fine, so long as you temp match the water. That is the crucial part. Don't add 75% cold or hot water directly to the tank. Get a meat thermometer and temp match the tank, use dechlorinator if ya want or need depending, and make sure the water fills slow and.maintains tank temp, and all should be ok. Also....be on the lookout for micro bubbles. These will kill your fish too. It stops the gills from working.

Gee I want ponts.. LoL

As to water changes.. as the general consensus say.. do what works for you. That said.. if you think of a river the water changes constantly.
As to tanks.. when I was growing plants and fish outdoors.. in a heavy rain.. tropical depression. Water could change 100% in a day.. and it didn't match any parameters.. everything was fine.

Honestly I do take acception to someone moderating a comment because THEY think it is offensive. Do the moderators remove Art from a wall if they think it is offensive. I think Robert Mapplethorpe was one of the best modern photographer, but because of his subjects.. bible thumpers consider it offensive..
Also as to language, yes one must remember cultural issues. Where I live the language would make you blush, and it is used in front of children. So please don't blame the messenger when you don't like the message.
Nuff said.

Gee I want ponts.. LoL

As to water changes.. as the general consensus say.. do what works for you. That said.. if you think of a river the water changes constantly.
As to tanks.. when I was growing plants and fish outdoors.. in a heavy rain.. tropical depression. Water could change 100% in a day.. and it didn't match any parameters.. everything was fine.

Honestly I do take acception to someone moderating a comment because THEY think it is offensive. Do the moderators remove Art from a wall if they think it is offensive. I think Robert Mapplethorpe was one of the best modern photographer, but because of his subjects.. bible thumpers consider it offensive..
Also as to language, yes one must remember cultural issues. Where I live the language would make you blush, and it is used in front of children. So please don't blame the messenger when you don't like the message.
Nuff said.

@Airwreck, @essjay, @Fishmanic , @Wills, @dascrow, @Chad, @Ch4rlie. Regarding above comment, just a point...9 times out of 10, Mods take action because something was reported by a member. Often times, more than one member. We, as Mods, don’t just hover around looking for things. As far as art on a wall, yes, if it is in my home and offensive, I will remove it. This forum has specific rules that the Mods did not create. We must abide by them. When you joined, you agreed to these rules.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see what the environmentalists would say if every time there was a tropical down pour a plane flew over and dumped a whole lot of dechlorinator in the rivers to make them safe for the fish.

It would be interesting to see what the environmentalists would say if every time there was a tropical down pour a plane flew over and dumped a whole lot of dechlorinator in the rivers to make them safe for the fish.
Why would that even be a thing, unless there's been a cloud of Chlorine gas for the rain to fall through I guess, in which case they would be more annoyed about the gas..........
I wonder what would be said if tap water wasn't treated?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back