What Did I Get Myself Into?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am going to leave it at that and allow other members of this group to have a say. I think members have to be careful not to be to critical of how people keep their fish. There are all sorts of ways that work, it is down to what you feel comfortable with.

I do 50% wc every 9 days in my lightly stocked tanks. I have lots of slow growing plants (anubias) in the tanks. Works for me and my fish.

I am going to leave it at that and allow other members of this group to have a say. I think members have to be careful not to be to critical of how people keep their fish. There are all sorts of ways that work, it is down to what you feel comfortable with.
You do realize you've just contradicted your behavior with this paragraph, yes?

But it's because of people like you I didn't reach out publicly when I had my emergency with my tank, and ch4rlie was nice enough to bring it up himself because I didn't feel up to it, yet this is exactly why. Can't even move on from the incident without you coming in to poke back at it.

But have at it, I won't bother in the future and won't post on here my personal tanks, fish, etc anymore, ill just stick to helping out others.

So am I a tosser and a loser
Yes.....? (Well you did ask.......)
And for that matter does that mean that only like minded people are wanted on this forum site
Would be sad to see you leave, we can't all agree on everything, world would be a boring place if we did.
Though the no war and murder would be nice......

I have been thinking about 90% water changes. I feel that is the same as every week you being locked in your bedroom for an hour, but not knowing when it is going to happen. And then 90% of the atmosphere you breath being changed with different portions of oxygen and CO2 and every other chemical compound. Then your body has to adjust to that for just a week and at the end of that week it is all going to happen again. That is what I think we have to think about.

I’m going to say something very controversial and is my secret...

I do 100% daily water changes on my betta tank.

So agree. A lady lost power and temps are cold outside. I told her to keep her house warm with fireplace and wrap the tanks. Another person suggested she light her BBQ grill and boil water to add. Seriously? Are these people COMPLETE idiots??? This why our forum is so important! To get sold, proven facts out to people looking for help. Facebook just can’t cut it!
Are they human?
Because even though humans think they are the smartest species on the planet, they really aren't. That's as much as I can say about the intelligence of most humans on this planet without being banned for inappropriate language. :)

--------------------
So am I a tosser and a loser just because I think changing 75 or 90 % of the water in a tank is to much. And for that matter does that mean that only like minded people are wanted on this forum site
No your not. You do what works for you.

The main reason I like big water changes is because it dilutes the number of disease organisms in the water and provides a cleaner habitat for the fish to live in.

--------------------
You lost a tank full of fish recently that you said was hand sanitizer. How do you know it wasn't a hang over from your water changing schedule
If fish are going to have a problem from a water change, it happens while the tank is being filled or within minutes of the new water being added to the aquarium.

--------------------
I am sorry I am not coming at you. But you are the one who put up the photo of your weekly water change regime. Which frankly terrifies me to think how stressed the fish are at the bottom of that tank every week.
Healthy fish don't normally panic or stress much, if at all, when you do water changes. My fish would be begging for food straight after I filled my tanks and put the covers back on, and I did 75%+ water changes and gravel cleaned the substrate every week. Stressed fish don't look for food or swim around displaying and breeding straight after a water change.

--------------------
I have been thinking about 90% water changes. I feel that is the same as every week you being locked in your bedroom for an hour, but not knowing when it is going to happen. And then 90% of the atmosphere you breath being changed with different portions of oxygen and CO2 and every other chemical compound. Then your body has to adjust to that for just a week and at the end of that week it is all going to happen again. That is what I think we have to think about.
The water chemistry in tap water doesn't change much throughout the year. Most water companies try to keep their water stable. So changing the water in an aquarium shouldn't change the main chemistry much at all.

If you are really concerned, just prepare the new water in a container and get it the same as the tank's water, then do a water change.

Having been the victim of domestic abuse and being locked in a room that was 8ft x 9ft and not being able to get out regularly, I can assure you that having the air in the room replaced suddenly was literally a breath of fresh air. My room stank after a week and when the door was opened and I got out, the fresh air was really nice.

--------------------
I’m going to say something very controversial and is my secret...

I do 100% daily water changes on my betta tank.
We used to do that with the Bettas in the shop and in the quarantine facilities. We had just tipped the fish into a net that was hanging above a bucket to collect the dirty water. Then the fish got put into a clean container with new water. The water was from one of the plant tanks and the fish were fine with it. We changed the water a couple of times a week.

Last edited:
Guys, can we not argue in this forum please? It pains me to see to very good people in the forums to be arguing even if it's for a joke. We should be helping each other out not saying rude comments to each other. Please stop and we can all forget about this above. Still continue this thread though.

You lost a tank full of fish recently that you said was hand sanitizer. How do you know it wasn't a hang over from your water changing schedule
First post I read after coming back from a break dealing with a lot of stressful personal stuff, and surprise surprise, @itiwhetu is sniping nastily at someone because he disagrees with most of our views, but decides to twist the knife when @NCaquatics had shared a devastating loss. Talk about driving people away, I want to go take another break now, and NC no longer wants to share, despite her personal tanks and experience helping a lot of people, myself included. Thanks very much, @itiwhetu .

I am just asking a question?
Sure you are. What a kind and supportive forum member you are. By the way, even if your theory were right, are you telling us you've never made a mistake that killed a fish? In all your years? How would you like it if someone threw it in your face for no reason? Empathy seems to be missing here...
On a post unrelated to that question, AND others here also mention their large water change routines and yet its me you come at?
Yep. I'm not the only one who has noticed that it's women in particular that @itiwhetu comes at. He didn't respond to @Colin_T s well thought out explanation, ignored Colin's decades of experience and scientific back up, didn't come for @seangee who experienced a tank wipe out at the same time as you for what he suspected to be the same reasons... No, he comes after women and thinks he can bully them more easily.

But it's because of people like you I didn't reach out publicly when I had my emergency with my tank, and ch4rlie was nice enough to bring it up himself because I didn't feel up to it, yet this is exactly why. Can't even move on from the incident without you coming in to poke back at it.

But have at it, I won't bother in the future and won't post on here my personal tanks, fish, etc anymore, ill just stick to helping out others.
Please don't let one nasty old man drive you away, or stop you from sharing. That thread revealed just how dangerous hand sanitiser is to aquatic life, with people checking the ingredients commonly used and finding science to back it up, and helped raise awareness so we'll all be more cautious.

You've done nothing wrong. A horrible accident happened, that's all, and it wasn't anyone's fault. Please stop beating yourself up for it! No one else is blaming you, the rest of us know it wasn't from water changes, that these things happen. A heater breaks, a filter fails, a tank is contaminated - and it's horrible, but it's a real facet of fish keeping. I don't think there's a fish keeper alive that hasn't made a mistake and lost fish as a result. We're all human. We learn from each other, and I know I'd be gutted if you stopped sharing your beautiful tanks and your experiences, good or bad. I got your back! No one else is judging you, don't let a spiteful bully win and drive you away or stop you being you.

@NCaquatics We Need you. :) Edited: 12/14/20 08:40

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back