What cichlids to go for

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gazat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys / Girls,

As the topic says, i'm thinking of adding another tank to my collection, a cichlid tank to be precise.

At the moment i am considering a marlawri setup (adeyc i know its spelt wrong i just couldn't be bothered to return back a page). i am looking for advice on tank setup, size, feeding etc. The tank in mind is either a 3 or 4ft.

Another consideration is having a tank for kribs, firemouths.

I am only looking for info at the moment, and are proberbly look to set the tank up in the autum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gaza T

Go for the 4 foot instead of the 3 foot as most Malawi's can get to a respectable size :D

As for the set-up :what: ............well here is how my Malawi's are housed :)

5 foot tank with Ehiem ecco external filters, gravel substrate and a Tuffa rock reef all along the back of the tank from substrate to just out of the water :D they love this set up as it is remenisent of the wild conditions that they are naturally found in 8) , make lots of caves, tunnels etc for the fish to hide in and another tip......place a large piece of rock from front to back of the tank to act almost as a seperator about 5 inches tall as this will help to break up the territories even further as Malawi's are VERY territorial indeed!!!! :D

I will try to get some photo's scanned soon to show you my set up and maybe give you a few ideas ;) :laugh:

Hi Pete,

Some pictures would be nice, it will give me a idea on how to set the tank up.

Also is there a good web site i can go to to get some information about the malawi's i.e. fish, habitat, water conditions etc.

Cheers Gaza T

;) Hi gazat, another tip, cover the rear and sides of the tank with a background (I tape a black bin liner on mine) , it makes the fish more secure by not having see through caves. :thumbs: Mac.

Macquatic said:
cover the rear and sides of the tank with a background (I tape a black bin liner on mine)
nice tip Mac,

I'm thinking of another tank, probably be a two footer again, and thinking of having cichlids, and doing aquascaping - if I can  <!--emo&:) I would like to go bigger but space is an issue, and trying to figure out which kind to get too.

I was wondering what to use as a background, your tip sounds a neat idea, if I were going to do a malawi scene, it would be no use in buying them printed backgrounds as it wouldn't fit.

Duncan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back