What can I put with Dwarfs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GP

Orange
Reaction score
As most can see, I am getting two Dwarf Puffers next week... I was wondering if there are any fish compatible with the puffers, or if there are lobster/crayfish/shrimp that I could put with them and avoid any aggression/nipping... Thanks.

Sorry, wrong forum section, can we put this in oddball institute for me?

Inverts and puffers dont work well If I were you id go with fast moveing short finned fish or fish that take #### from no one like barbs or mollies. but nothing that might eat your puffer because puffers are sore losers and poisones.

HTH

Opcn

Whatever you do, don't pu a puffer with a crab/crayfish/lobster/shrimp. You will see limbs disappear.

I think the only thing you can put with a dwarf puffer is another puffer or an otocinlus. I wish I had known that before I bought one. :/

I've had my puffers with many other fish. I currently have a single puffer with a SAE. I can't keep snails with my puffer, but I have had him living with ghost shrimp in the past (the shrimp were supposed to be food, but he left them alone). I do have a fairly large vampire shrimp that I wouldn't put in with the puffer. In all actuality, I've only had two problems with my puffers:
One: If I put them with fish that are too agressive (my buenos aires tetras) they get stressed and don't eat (and have a hard time getting to food even if they wanted it) and die.
Two: When I put them with bottom feeders, if one of the puffers dies the bottom feeders usually try to eat the dead puffer and subsequently die themselves (remember, puffers are poisonous).

Besides that I've had no real problems. I've had mine with kuhli loaches, guppies, SAE, GAE, and a gold fish (amazing algae eaters). They did show some agression towards a plec I had in there. Those fins must have looked delicious.

Hope that helped. Good luck!!
:thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back