What Can I Feed My Golden Apple Snails?

eh lol who said anyrhing about eating the them? i used to breed apple snails in very large amounts and sell them. I went to great lengths to make sure mine were the best. I cooked them special cookies in the oven for the snails to eat :)
First I thought I understood that you meant a cookie FOR them, then I wondered if you meant bake them into a cookie. LOL.
What were the cookies made of though?

2e0tq1g.jpg

Just when I got Lorenzo to eat the cucumber... Football (or rather noseball) time.
Kadenza just doesn't care, he ate enough last night so it seems.

I'm feeling guilty now as I don't put anthing special in for my snail. I leave it to feed itself on algae, uneaten bits of cory pellet or flake. It seems happy enough.

I do put courgette in now and then and it seems to like it. I didn't know you could put carrot in though. I might try it now lol

I'm feeling guilty now as I don't put anthing special in for my snail. I leave it to feed itself on algae, uneaten bits of cory pellet or flake. It seems happy enough.

I do put courgette in now and then and it seems to like it. I didn't know you could put carrot in though. I might try it now lol
I'm feeling more guilty, because mine have almost nothing to feed on normally except my plants' old parts. No food EVER escapes the 3 fish I have. If Tzuppy won't eat it, Bee would (to the point that she'd look like a ball). That's why I have to carefully give the catfish his share at the surface. Anything that falls is swordtail food. (reverse feeder syndrome, bottom dweller eats at surface, surface dwellers eat at bottom...)
There are also no algae in the tank (despite my huge amount of lighting from different sources).

The problem with the carrot was that the snails seem to be unable to chomp off of it and get bored eventually. I think they're too small to cut it. Kadenza did gnaw on it for a few minutes though.

Now that I managed to get Lore to eat the cucumber roll, he seems to be safe under the arch of my log. Tzuppy isn't smart enough to go on the other side to push the roll. Lol. But I hope the snail can eat the roll... I don't see any difference and he's been gnawing for half an hour now...

EDIT: never mind, he did drill quite a hole in it, it was just covered by his mantle. X) Wish Kadenza was awake to enjoy it too... He's still sleeping.

Ok, Lorenzo's done with the cucumber roll. He started to sleep on it so I took it out so it won't foul the water too much. These are the holes he made.
2s13v4y.jpg

You will often see people say there snail die early or no reason this is because they are left to graze on left overs and they starve to death as the greedy eating machines. I puts things like elemental calcium, baby food, wheat grains, cat biscuits etc in my cookies and then baked them.

You will often see people say there snail die early or no reason this is because they are left to graze on left overs and they starve to death as the greedy eating machines. I puts things like elemental calcium, baby food, wheat grains, cat biscuits etc in my cookies and then baked them.
Poor critters. Well they still have some food (and they're pooping too so they are eating) but now they can enjoy some extra and more nutritious stuff. Too bad they cannot eat carrots easy enough. I also have cabbage but not sure if they'd like it. More recently, they seem to like the taste of the bogwood.

Lol cat biscuits. When I had a cat, I accidentally put the cat food in the fish tank because I was talking to my mom at the same time... Then two of my hoplos started to grab and eat the small pieces. LOL.
I don't have any of those ingredients around though, just vegetables and usually chicken meat (my turtle loves chicken) or sometimes fish (trout or pangasius). Oh, and bananas, but those might foul the water badly. Cucumber seems to have no effect, the ammonia read 0 after I removed the cucumber.

Cucumber is a bit useless to them im sorry to say as its mainly water and no real nutrition, baby food,calcium and a few veg are easy and cheap to get depends how far your willing to go :good:

Cucumber is a bit useless to them im sorry to say as its mainly water and no real nutrition, baby food,calcium and a few veg are easy and cheap to get depends how far your willing to go :good:
My dad won't buy any of those though and any other vegetables I have available are cabbage, red or green apples and the carrots but they don't seem to be able to eat the carrot roll.

get another dad his shopping sux :p

pop the carrot in a bowl of water then put it in the microwave it will soften it for them to eat(let it cool before feeding)

get another dad his shopping sux :p

pop the carrot in a bowl of water then put it in the microwave it will soften it for them to eat(let it cool before feeding)
Hmm, good idea, I'll boil the carrot in my egg boiling kettle (because the microwave cannot boil stuff too well, last time it failed to boil a cup of water properly without breaking, good thing dad fixed it). But hope it won't foul the water once cooked.
What about cabbage? I know my land snails (when I had a mini farm of them) used to love it, along with dandelion leaves.

I've boiled 2 pieces of carrot, but only one snail's on it, other's sleeping. And doesn't seem to be able to drill holes in it yet... Think he can eat it? It is quite soft as the fork went through it fast...

LOL Lorenzo just scooped the entire middle of the carrot slice. It now looks like he's on a boat. Wish Kadenza would join in. He's sleeping most of the time.

Funny, after eating a huge chunk of the carrot, the snail just dug himself a tiny nest in the sand and slept till now.

So now that I know that they can eat boiled carrots and succeeded in feeding the one that was awake, I'm wondering if they would like some fruit with vitamin C...
Can they eat apples? And are they any good for the snails?
Green or red - does it matter?

I gave them a carrot again today, but how long can I leave it in there? Yesterday I took it out when I saw that the snail went to sleep. But now both of them are constantly gnawing on it and it's starting to look like Swiss cheese.
And can someone tell me the answer to the question above about feeding them apples, please?

Most reactions

trending

Back