What Can I Do Untill Next Payday

:blush: Well the offer stands....am off out in a minute....could post it today!?!?!

I got mine from here.... [URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180379025353"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180379025353[/URL]

I have 5...soon to be 6 tanks running and this stuff goes a hell of a long way!!!!!


Lisa x
Just to add, Prime in this case is twice as economical :). Plus it has other uses.

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=104

...I should work for Seachem with all the Prime I recommend/sell :lol:.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do not know if you you do this or not?

I am also on a tight budget at the momment.

I never thought about it and always brought my declouranater from the LFS BIG MISTAKE!

Its so much cheeper on the internet

Thanks for the thought, I have been buying mine on line, but it's got to the stage where, petrol, electricity or gas comes first, I have never been in this situ before. My partner and I have been told that he will not even get job seekers allowance since I work 40hrs a week, even though my wage is almost minium wage. Between us we have worked nearly 50 yrs paying Tax and NI for what. Sorry I'll get off my soap box now.
I'm fishkeeping on a tight budget too so can sympathise. As the others said, just leave tapwater standing in bucket or large bottle(I recyced 5tlitre mineral water ones) for or two. I do loads of water changes and rarely use dechlor, only when i ran out of stored water. All my fish are fine.
Economy hint -buy huge 500ml dechlor chemical bottle (meant for ponds) on Ebay for around £9, should last a year ! I cam give you th eink where I bought mine from
 
I never used to add water conditioner or anything to my little late Tropica's tank; the water is somewhat hard where I live but when we took Tropica over to our family friends' house 40 minutes away they had to add water condtioner because at the time the water was much harder there -- they were working on the sewer pipes or something but idk. Sometimes, I think stores' and companies' insistence on using water dechlor is really all just a ploy to get you buying. :huh:
 
Dechlor isn't so much about water hardness.
StressCoat - "removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia, and detoxifies heavy metals in tap water".
Aquasafe - "neutralizes harmful chlorine and heavy metals".
Most water conditioners do similar.
 
A big thank you to all the responses, lot's of food for thought, (thank god, food isn't a issue for them) My other half is always saying the fish eat better than we do :lol:

I'm going for the standing water system with smaller water change untill payday then pond de-chlor. Maybe a thread should be set up for cost saving tips for fish keeping for all those on tight budgets.

Once again a big Thanks Guys
 
Is 50% water change excessive? After payday perhaps you could make it go further by gently reducing the changes i.e. 7 days to 8 days for amonth to 9 days etc. or 50% to 40% to 30% over several months. When my son (and now daughter) came along I reduced to just 20% (1 bucket) every 2 weeks. I have noticed no increase in mortality, in fact probably the reverse. It is much more down to type of fish (my black widows are all about to celebrate their 5th birthday, only 3 of my 5 serpae tetra made it passed 2 years and were all gone after 4 years!)
 
Thanks for that Rich, I do this weekly as I have fish and snails that who poop alot, (even though they only get fed once a day) Plus as the tank gets quite abit of direct sunlight, I clean the glass and gravel vac. I have no little ones to care for except for my fish. The water is the tank is always crystal clear it's just everything else needs a good clean. Any way it keeps me out of trouble :lol:
 
i dont do water changes every week and my stats are fine, also 50%, agree with rich, that is abit much. :huh:

agree with others, leave to stand with an airstone overnight and it should be fine, you could try 25% a week.
 
What I have forgotten is that cleaning the fish tank is all part of the hobby and a pleasure, rather than being a rush job after work when the kids have gone to bed, in amongst another 10 jobs!
 
What I have forgotten is that cleaning the fish tank is all part of the hobby and a pleasure, rather than being a rush job after work when the kids have gone to bed, in amongst another 10 jobs!

Sorry, I wasn't having a dig. I normally do my big tank on a Wednesday night after work, weekend's are for housework and gardening and cleaning the 60 litre. I quite agree, I get great pleasure from my hobby aswell. It's a good job we are not all the same or TFF would not be so diverse.
 
I use KING BRITISH SAFE GUARD, costs me £3.50 for a 100ml bottle and 1ml treats 9 litres / 2 gallons, for a 50% water change on my tank (110litres) i only use 6ml, 1 bottle will usually last me for 16/17 50% water changes.


Mark.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top