What Can I Do Untill Next Payday

Littlemonkey

Fish Herder
Joined
Feb 11, 2009
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire
Need some advice please. Did a water change in the community tank last night and used the last of the Aquasafe. It's two weeks untill payday and as we are only on one wage (mine) so money is really tight. I do weekly 50% changes. The question is can I get away with using pre-boiled water for the change or is there any else I could do. Has any-one else been in this situation. I really don't want to leave it two weeks to do another change. Oh yes I forgot to mention I have also a 60ltr tank for my Apple snails which I also do a weekly change aswell. Thanks
 
you can try standing your water overnight and perhaps put an airstone in it this will only help with chlorine though not some of the other chemicals good luck
scot :)
 
what chesterscot said is right. let it sit out in a bucket for as long as you can. the chlorine will dissipate out. if your water contains chloramine however i don't think that will work.
 
Thanks guy's, so do I boil the water first, then let it stand, I do have a pump and airstones which I don't currently use. There is a very strong clinical smell when we run the taps at home. I've had my fish a long time and they are used to the declor I use. The stupid thing is even though I'm worried sick about the financial side of thing's I'm more worried about harming my babies or even losing any. -_-
 
you cant help it so just do the best you can there was non of this cycling thing or dechlor i dont think when i first started keeping fish and people managed then.
i wouldnt boil the water just run the tap in to the buckets as fast as you can to froth up the water this will help some of the chemicals gas off
then just place the airstone in the water and leave for as long as you can hope that helps good luck
regards scot :)
 
Thanks Scot and Darkerwhite2. Before I joined here I never knew or used any of the cycling or maintenance methods. I have and still am learning so much from TFF. I suspect that in todays difficult times alot of people are in the same boat. Tips like this are invaluable, I'll let you know how I get on next week. :flowers:
 
I do not know if you you do this or not?

I am also on a tight budget at the momment.

I never thought about it and always brought my declouranater from the LFS BIG MISTAKE!

Its so much cheeper on the internet
 
I do not know if you you do this or not?

I am also on a tight budget at the momment.

I never thought about it and always brought my declouranater from the LFS BIG MISTAKE!

Its so much cheeper on the internet

Thanks for the thought, I have been buying mine on line, but it's got to the stage where, petrol, electricity or gas comes first, I have never been in this situ before. My partner and I have been told that he will not even get job seekers allowance since I work 40hrs a week, even though my wage is almost minium wage. Between us we have worked nearly 50 yrs paying Tax and NI for what. Sorry I'll get off my soap box now.
 
Thanks Scot and Darkerwhite2. Before I joined here I never knew or used any of the cycling or maintenance methods. I have and still am learning so much from TFF. I suspect that in todays difficult times alot of people are in the same boat. Tips like this are invaluable, I'll let you know how I get on next week. :flowers:


There's still alot of people that don't use de-chlor....and their fish do just fine so please don't worry too much :good:
That said....fish are used to what they are used to, you could try just doing a small water change using the advice offered above...or do no water change at all [think of it like you're going on holiday and wouldn't be able to do the water change anyway!]
Also, I've read on here that some don't treat a water change under 10% with de-chlor any way.

Or If you are really worried I can send you some Tetra Aquasafe Pond de-chlor [have a huge bottle]....pm me your addy if you'd like some.

Lisa x
 
Thanks Scot and Darkerwhite2. Before I joined here I never knew or used any of the cycling or maintenance methods. I have and still am learning so much from TFF. I suspect that in todays difficult times alot of people are in the same boat. Tips like this are invaluable, I'll let you know how I get on next week. :flowers:


There's still alot of people that don't use de-chlor....and their fish do just fine so please don't worry too much :good:
That said....fish are used to what they are used to, you could try just doing a small water change using the advice offered above...or do no water change at all [think of it like you're going on holiday and wouldn't be able to do the water change anyway!]
Also, I've read on here that some don't treat a water change under 10% with de-chlor any way.

Or If you are really worried I can send you some Tetra Aquasafe Pond de-chlor [have a huge bottle]....pm me your addy if you'd like some.

Lisa x

Bless your heart Lisa X.

I think your idea about the smaller water change with using the standing water advice may get me out of trouble as it's only for a couple of weeks, then I will be looking at maybe getting the Pond de-chlor myself, if you would be so kind and recommend the best place to go, thanks again for your wonderful offer, you've restored my faith in human kindness.

Littlemonkey :flowers:
 
I've got a small un-opened bottle (100ml should do about 200L) of Tetra AquaSafe that you're welcome too.
I don't use it, it was a freebie with a tank I bought recently so didn't actually cost me anything either.
 
surely skipping a water change wont hurt unless your cycling.

a 20% un dechlorinated water change wont hurt, even if it contains chloramine, the ammonia in the chloramine bond will be broken down by filter bacteria and then the chlorine will gas off
 

Most reactions

Back
Top