What are your all time favorite cichlids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My favourite cichlids that i keep currently are:

Mbuna cichlids ( all different types of species of them)
I love my salvini and the convict also
I have this apistograma super red (georgous little fish)

I would like an oscar one day but just dont have the tank space. I also wants lake Tanganyikan shell dwellers. Im just trying to convince my wife to get another tank but not working at the moment 😢
There is no such species as apistogramma super red...

It's probably Apistogramma cacatuoides (colour form super red).
Well I can think of three species that sometime have super red applied; there is also hongsoli and agassizii; though fire red is more common with the later. I guess it is just a pet peeve that people refer to apisto instead of the species since the species are so different from each other. For all i know he has a mouth brooder red fish... (not that it really matters to me); but people reading the thread pick up the bad habbit.

I had a blast discussing my top 10 favorite cichlid fish of all time! I love cichlids because of their personalities, different aggression levels and the many colorations and species out there! I have favorite cichlids from South America, Central America, and even Africa!
I started the video by discussing my honorable mentions which included angelfish, discus, and more!
I showed pictures of each cichlid that I discussed. There are videos of my current cichlids which include my red oscar cichlid, my chocolate cichlids, my severum cichlids and my jack dempsey.
Cichlids mentioned on this video include oscar cichlids, severums, frontosa, and more!!
Enjoy the video!!!
Simply press play or click the link below!

Yes you are right. 3 or 4 Multis can live on a small tank, hovever give it 6 months ill have a colony and need to upgrade again. I want a colony any way so im just going to wait and get a decent size tank for a colony.
I have a good sized colony in a 3 foot 30 gallon tank. I have around 50 babies at the moment. I really love them.

There is no such species as apistogramma super red...

Well the pictures are attached below. I went to this random fish shop and this was the description. If one of you can identify it.

Attachments

• 597D4CD7-E939-470F-A154-4697063D8E01.jpeg
    597D4CD7-E939-470F-A154-4697063D8E01.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 1D748C50-B751-4B80-BE40-4F28744461BF.jpeg
    1D748C50-B751-4B80-BE40-4F28744461BF.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ACC56DF6-9F49-4C14-B97A-255D446D8964.jpeg
    ACC56DF6-9F49-4C14-B97A-255D446D8964.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 58
Well the pictures are attached below. I went to this random fish shop and this was the description. If one of you can identify it.
My supplier has very similar and they called them Apisto Borelli Gold Viejita

It is not a cacatuoides . I think it is a agassizii but not 100% sure. It doesn't look like a Viejita to myself but i'm not very good at these ids.

My supplier has very similar and they called them Apisto Borelli Gold Viejita

borelli are a different species than viejita.

It is not a cacatuoides . I think it is a agassizii but not 100% sure. It doesn't look like a Viejita to myself but i'm not very good at these ids.
Actually I believe it is a macmasteri. Also you should be aware that across the spectrum of this large genus there is very different behavior and requirements for proper care of these fishes.

Green terror is possibly my favourite to look at
My favourite to keep is electric blue acara maybe
I do love the look of t bar cichlids but never owned them

Actually I believe it is a macmasteri. Also you should be aware that across the spectrum of this large genus there is very different behavior and requirements for proper care of these fishes.

He is very calm in my community tank. Well fed and good water quality. He is happy as far as i cam see

It's a man made colour form.
It is not Apistogramma cactuoides.
It could be a lutino colour form of A. agassizi but the head shape looks wrong and the body is a bit high.
It is not A. borelli or macmasteri.
It is very close to Apistogramma viejita gold but the tail is wrong.
It is probably a hybrid between 2 Apistogramma species.

It could be a lutino colour form of A. agassizi but the head shape looks wrong and the body is a bit high.

Atleast I know what it is now. Hybrid it is.Thanks @Colin_T

I don't think it is a hybrid; it looks pretty similar to these:

but the tail looks wrong; there is a site that specializes on apistogramma and they could probably identify it not sure if we are allowed to post the link. Most of the colourful domestic strains are not found in nature with the flashy colours. I think borelli and nijjensi complex are exceptions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back