What are you listening to right now?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Of course it’s illegal.
I remember reading an article long long ago (Salon??), it basically said that when you buy a CD, you are buying a license for the content of the CD. Including in the licensing agreement, you have the right to own a backup copy of the contents.

So if I own an album, am I entitled to own a backup copy of the contents?

That's my legal defense in case Mick Jagger is knocking on my front door with a subpoena.

I remember reading an article long long ago (Salon??), it basically said that when you buy a CD, you are buying a license for the content of the CD. Including in the licensing agreement, you have the right to own a backup copy of the contents.

So if I own an album, am I entitled to own a backup copy of the contents?

That's my legal defense in case Mick Jagger is knocking on my front door with a subpoena.
One you make yourself won’t be a problem. Jagger isnt chasing that sort of thing down.
One you download from an illegal file sharing site would be, that’s why Napster was shut down. No matter if you already own it on cd, vinyl, eight track, cassette and mini disc illegally downloading a copy is copyright theft! Mad I know. MrsLurch is a solicitor who sometimes gets involved in copyright issues Btw.

If you’ve any rare Stones bootlegs Keef will buy em off you for good money! How contradictory is that! Mick wants to release good ones to earn from but Keef won’t let him listen to them!

Exile, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers were The Stones high water mark. Nothing since comes near. 50yrs ago!

Bloke I worked with had worked in the vinyl bootlegging business back in the 70s and 80s before cassettes and cds killed it off even before the internet and reckoned a lot were sancttiioned by bands management to make the bands look a bit underground from the mainstream and thus cooler.

One you download from an illegal file sharing site would be, that’s why Napster was shut down. No matter if you already own it on cd, vinyl, eight track, cassette and mini disc illegally downloading a copy is copyright theft! Mad I know. MrsLurch is a solicitor who sometimes gets involved in copyright issues Btw.
Not sure if any Napster style sites exist , BitTorrent is used today.

In the USA, downloading a file is not illegal, possession of copyright material which I did not purchase is illegal. But the case of I own the CD, I am entitled to a digital copy on my hard drive. What would MrsLurch's case be?

If you’ve any rare Stones bootlegs Keef will buy em off you for good money! How contradictory is that! Mick wants to release good ones to earn from but Keef won’t let him listen to them!
I do own the "Jamming with Edward" album, that's the only rare item I have.

Exile, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers were The Stones high water mark. Nothing since comes near. 50yrs ago!
Agreed. I remember buying Exile on Main Street. I was like everyone else, WTF is this. Now it is my favorite Stones album. I saw the Stones live in 1975, the Flatbed Truck Tour.

Last edited:
So let’s get this straight.
Your saying in the US if you download a file from a website that pays nothing to the record label and band you’re not breaking the law? So presumably the site owners are the ones breaking the law?

So let’s get this straight.
Your saying in the US if you download a file from a website that pays nothing to the record label and band you’re not breaking the law? So presumably the site owners are the ones breaking the law?
Nope. Sorry I was not clear on my point.

I've been following his work for awhile. Met his drummer on another forum, for a different interest of mine, just by chance. Still like this song.

Andy Shauf - Jenny Come Home

I don't know what the video is about, but this was a project led by Alex Casnoff that sadly fell apart a few years back. Some interesting music came from it though. Like this song.

Harriet - Burbank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back