What are you listening to right now?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maybe their pretentious nonsense rubbed off and has started to resurface?
Nonsense! I genuinely thought it was well stated. Sorry. You'll have to take the compliment.
No vinyl nostalgia for me, I hated albums as they scratch easily and was a pain to play.
I still believe CD's are the best way to buy music. It's a digital platform, so it has all the advantages of digital downloads, except you actually own the music. Yes, check the fine print of the download platforms and you will see you are buying access to the song (or film), not the song itself. If the platform loses their contract with the owner of the song, so do you. I can take my CD, download the music to my computer, convert format, and upload to my other devices. I can move it where I want and how I want (as long as I am not sharing it, which can get one into trouble) and no contract disputes that do not involve me will remove my access to it. The funny thing is my after a little debacle that raised awareness of this issue not long ago, my students are starting to see things this way too. They were pretty upset when movies they "bought" were no longer available for them to watch.

I liked Einar Selvik as the drummer for Gorgoroth during perhaps their most controversial era, but his project here feels like it has a soul for him, something that reaches deep into what he values. Plus, it's a good listen.

Wardruna - Kvitravn

1614682042650.png

I still believe CD's are the best way to buy music. It's a digital platform, so it has all the advantages of digital downloads, except you actually own the music. Yes, check the fine print of the download platforms and you will see you are buying access to the song (or film), not the song itself. If the platform loses their contract with the owner of the song, so do you.

Excellent point, I never thought of that. Originally I thought copyright laws for CD were similar ie: you could not sell used CD nor could Blockbuster rent out music CDs. Clearly that's not the case as used CD are sold everywhere.

Which brings up an interesting legal issue, long ago I bought the Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street" album, is it illegal to download for free a digital version of the album? I already purchased the "rights" for the personal use of the contents when I bought the album.

For my home system, I connected a terabyte USB hard drive to my home router ie: my personal cloud storage. I installed Kodi on my Amazon FireTV, easy access to all my music. So I agree with you, buy CDs and load them on a hard drive is the best of both worlds. My USB drive is not backup, if it crashes, I lose everything.

Now for something completely different, ~5 years ago I finally built my 7.1 Home theater system. I built the subwoofer, left, right and center speakers and purchase in wall ceiling and rear speakers. I finally got my dream sound system but ironically, I have lost my high frequency hearing... On a positive note, my students can be very loud since I can't hear them :)

EDIT: I would prefer to rent 4k UHD bluray movies over downloading/streaming, I just can't rent them in my area. Come Redbox, stop renting 20 year old DVD's!

Mark

Last edited:
He learned when he was at school, then hardly touched it till he retired. He started playing again 6 years ago. He does start out with scales as a warm up, but then he plays anything from sea shanties to folk music to Beatles songs to songs from musical shows, usually for at least 2 hours a day.
And he's now got 3 instruments in different sizes.

What surprises me is the cat often lies on his feet while he's playing - I thought cats weren't supposed to like stringed instruments :blink:

I know nothing of the musical preferences of cats. However, your husband's music sounds perfectly lovely! I think my only hope of having a musical instrument played in my house regularly would be to buy a player piano.

Excellent point, I never thought of that. Originally I thought copyright laws for CD were similar ie: you could not sell used CD nor could Blockbuster rent out music CDs. Clearly that's not the case as used CD are sold everywhere.

Which brings up an interesting legal issue, long ago I bought the Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street" album, is it illegal to download for free a digital version of the album? I already purchased the "rights" for the personal use of the contents when I bought the album.

For my home system, I connected a terabyte USB hard drive to my home router ie: my personal cloud storage. I installed Kodi on my Amazon FireTV, easy access to all my music. So I agree with you, buy CDs and load them on a hard drive is the best of both worlds. My USB drive is not backup, if it crashes, I lose everything.

Now for something completely different, ~5 years ago I finally built my 7.1 Home theater system. I built the subwoofer, left, right and center speakers and purchase in wall ceiling and rear speakers. I finally got my dream sound system but ironically, I have lost my high frequency hearing... On a positive note, my students can be very loud since I can't hear them :)

EDIT: I would prefer to rent 4k UHD bluray movies over downloading/streaming, I just can't rent them in my area. Come Redbox, stop renting 20 year old DVD's!

Mark
Of course it’s illegal.

I know nothing of the musical preferences of cats. However, your husband's music sounds perfectly lovely! I think my only hope of having a musical instrument played in my house regularly would be to buy a player piano.
I’ve owned a guitar, ukulele and trumpet. I’ve no aptitude for any of it. Trumpet will be on ebay within the next few weeks.

Our house is very loud, everyone here plays something except for me (I push the play button). Maybe that is why our cat left :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back