What are you doing today?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I taught near a bunker, and their kids attended the College I worked in back then. I knew a lot of generational Hells, all studying criminal law.

It's a scary world we should never romanticize. Even here, I don't want to mention the products they sold through their extensive business operations.

@sharkweek178 Long ago, to change the subject, I gave a talk on Apistos at the Pittsburgh Club. They were one of the friendliest clubs I ever visited. Great people.
Was that the Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society?

Have I hit a very early midlife crisis?
I'm not one to seek dangerous things but Ive been really wanting to ride a motorcycle lately LOL
I'm not telling my parents I want to cause my mom will definitely freak out and give me a whole lecture about motorcycles 😭😂

I'm not telling my parents I want to cause my mom will definitely freak out and give me a whole lecture about motorcycles 😭😂
Reminds me of an Anthony Jeselnik joke.

"When I finished high school I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle."

Last edited:
If you ever do here is a bit of good advice. Train yourself to always see an 'escape route'. People in cars just won't see you and some of those that do will try to drop you. At first training yourself to see escape routes will seem tedious but it becomes second nature. I don't ride now but have around a quarter million miles on a bike and always knowing an escape route saved me more than a few times. In all my miles I only went down twice and both times I was able to pick up the bike and ride it home.

Reminds me of an Anthony Jeselnik joke.

"When I finished high school I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle."
That's so dark LMHO
If you ever do here is a bit of good advice. Train yourself to always see an 'escape route'. People in cars just won't see you and some of those that do will try to drop you. At first training yourself to see escape routes will seem tedious but it becomes second nature. I don't ride now but have around a quarter million miles on a bike and always knowing an escape route saved me more than a few times. In all my miles I only went down twice and both times I was able to pick up the bike and ride it home.
That makes sense! Thanks for the advice!

Risk is a personal thing. The adrenaline rush you get from doing something exciting for me is much more valuable than playing it safe. Motorcycles are definitely not safe but they are a whole lot of fun.

Although I am not a Harley fan they did have quite a good marketing campaign in the past that really describes the different thoughts on the matter.

"It's better to regret the things you had done than the things you haven't" - has been a bit of a mantra for me over the years.

Right now I am prepping for a code demo, it's not nearly as much fun as riding a motorcycle.

That's Anthony Jeselnik for you. That's probably one of his least offensive jokes lol.
LOL
Well I love dark humor.
Is he relatively clean? The one thing I'm not a fan of is lots of cursing

My Mother was an emergency room nurse, I don’t need to tell you her opinion of motorcycles!
I can well understand but is the issue really the motorcycle or the rider and other drivers? Motorcycles are strange contraptions and I truly think that there should be more stringent knowledge tests before a license is granted. Here are some interesting points...

1) The faster a bike is going the harder it is to drop. This comes in at speeds of around 35-40 MPH. The thing is that the wheels are large enough in relation to the body that they actually become gyroscopes making the thing harder to tip which brings up the next...

2) Many bike wrecks are causes by the rider not knowing about the gyroscopic affect in 1). Too many can pass a license test due to it all being at low speeds but these tests have nothing to do with the real world. When riding at speed the gyroscopic affect of the wheels totally reverse the steering. At speed steering is controlled by leaning the bike, not how you 'point' the front wheel. When making a right hand turn at speed the front wheel is actually pointing toward the left. This is called counter steering. Problem is that new riders have no clue on this and try to force the front wheel to go into the turn which can easily cause the bike to flip out from under them.

3) When I rode the most common brake setup was disk in the front and drum in the rear. This boils down to the fact that, on average, 75% of the braking power is in the front. In a tense situation a rider without knowledge is going to 'stand up' on the rear brake pedal which causes two issues. First they are using the weaker braking potential and won't even think of the front, more powerful, braking. The other aspect about this is that the novice will literally 'stand up' on the rear break peddle raising the center of gravity making the bike much less stable.

4) Then there are helmets... No I'm not against but didn't wear. There are some issues with helmets especially 'full face' helmets. One factor is that, even with a 3/4 helmet (without the chin part), it cuts down on what you can hear and cuts some peripheral vision. Let's face it as if you are doing interstate speeds and go down at 80 MPH you are probably dead with or without a helmet. and you likely went down due t a lack of all the above. Ya, a helmet could save your life in a city driving stop and go situation but not likely at interstate speeds. Oddly, even if has been years since I researched, States with a helmet law have a higher death rate and higher insurance rates. The thing is that the helmets restrict vision and hearing but the most important factor in my mind is that, if you put a helmet on a rider, they tend to think that they are immune and ride faster.

Oh, one more thing about full face helmets.... Research has shown that, with such a helmet, a direct impact to the chin guard tends to transfer the force to the back of the helmet which often results in a base line fracture of the skull which is basically 100% fatal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back