What are you doing today?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I believe you have a male varied thrush (Ixoreus naevius). What a beauty! Good save. Cats gotta hunt, I understand, but I wish they'd stick to the invasive species!
He flew into my window trying to escape him and then he got him. I rushed out there as fast as I could. My ornithologist friend said he probably won’t make it, which I agree with. We’re snowed it and can’t make it to the wildlife rescue emergency vet. I’m doing everything I can with what I know of veterinary medicine, wildlife care and my friends help on bird health. I brought him in and slowly warmed him up. He’s now in a dark box with a towel nest that is heated (on the lowest setting of course)
If he’s gonna die he might as well die as comfortable as I can make him. Poor little guy.

I already I ate but you made me get my appetite back. What time is dinner? 🤣
If you knew what my elk stroganoff tastes like, you'd be buying a plane ticket here. And we don't even have an airport.

He flew into my window trying to escape him and then he got him. I rushed out there as fast as I could. My ornithologist friend said he probably won’t make it, which I agree with. We’re snowed it and can’t make it to the wildlife rescue emergency vet. I’m doing everything I can with what I know of veterinary medicine, wildlife care and my friends help on bird health. I brought him in and slowly warmed him up. He’s now in a dark box with a towel nest that is heated (on the lowest setting of course)
If he’s gonna die he might as well die as comfortable as I can make him. Poor little guy.
Oh noooo 😔

Sorry... That is heartbreaking. Just try to make a miracle happen I suppose...

If it's that good I need to try some one day 🤣
I need da recipe 😂
Just for you, man. I expect a full report.

Badger's Elk Strog

A couple notes: Traditional stroganoff uses the tenderest cuts of beef or venison, but I like to save those cuts for broiling or smoking, so this recipe uses less prime cuts. Also: Amounts are more like guidelines than rules. Don't get too uptight about it. Life's too short.

2-3 lb elk or deer round , trimmed of all gristle (easier when it's still partly frozen) and cut into small strips or cubes
(beef will work if that's all you've got; I once was told it's good with sage grouse but I'm not sure I believe that)
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper.

1/2 c olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1" chunks
1 1/2 cup bullion, game stock, or salted bone broth
1/2 cup red wine. The cheaper the better.

1/2 lb mushrooms

1 cup sour creme
1/4 cut tomato paste
1 tsp worcestershire sauce

1. Coat meat with flour, salt, and pepper. I put it in a gallon ziploc and shake it for a while.
2. In a really big pan with a tight fitting lid, brown the meat in olive oil over medium high heat. I do it 1/2 at a time.
3. When the meat is almost cooked, throw in the onion and brown for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Pour in the broth and wine, cover tightly, and simmer over very low heat until the meat is tender. I usually let it stew for about an hour; less if it's a tender cut of meat, more if it's gristly.
5. Meanwhile, slice the shrooms and saute them in olive oil for a couple minutes. Don't overcook them. Blend together the sour cream, tomato paste, and worcestershire.
6. Once the meat is tender, add the shrooms and the sour cream mixture. Stir until all is well blended. Let cook another five or ten minutes.

Serve over egg noodles, saffron rice, or just spoon it straight out of the pan. Some people garnish it with fresh parsley, but around here it never lasts long enough to be worth the effort.

Just for you, man. I expect a full report.

Badger's Elk Strog

A couple notes: Traditional stroganoff uses the tenderest cuts of beef or venison, but I like to save those cuts for broiling or smoking, so this recipe uses less prime cuts. Also: Amounts are more like guidelines than rules. Don't get too uptight about it. Life's too short.

2-3 lb elk or deer round , trimmed of all gristle (easier when it's still partly frozen) and cut into small strips or cubes
(beef will work if that's all you've got; I once was told it's good with sage grouse but I'm not sure I believe that)
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper.

1/2 c olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1" chunks
1 1/2 cup bullion, game stock, or salted bone broth
1/2 cup red wine. The cheaper the better.

1/2 lb mushrooms

1 cup sour creme
1/4 cut tomato paste
1 tsp worcestershire sauce

1. Coat meat with flour, salt, and pepper. I put it in a gallon ziploc and shake it for a while.
2. In a really big pan with a tight fitting lid, brown the meat in olive oil over medium high heat. I do it 1/2 at a time.
3. When the meat is almost cooked, throw in the onion and brown for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Pour in the broth and wine, cover tightly, and simmer over very low heat until the meat is tender. I usually let it stew for about an hour; less if it's a tender cut of meat, more if it's gristly.
5. Meanwhile, slice the shrooms and saute them in olive oil for a couple minutes. Don't overcook them. Blend together the sour cream, tomato paste, and worcestershire.
6. Once the meat is tender, add the shrooms and the sour cream mixture. Stir until all is well blended. Let cook another five or ten minutes.

Serve over egg noodles, saffron rice, or just spoon it straight out of the pan. Some people garnish it with fresh parsley, but around here it never lasts long enough to be worth the effort.
Definitely trying this sometime!! I saved it!

Thank you so much! I was only joking about sharing the recipe cause I thought it was your secret lol.
But seriously, thank you SO much!

Definitely trying this sometime!! I saved it!

Thank you so much! I was only joking about sharing the recipe cause I thought it was your secret lol.
But seriously, thank you SO much!
No problem! Good recipes are meant to be shared. This one comes mostly out of an ancient wild game cookbook my mom gave me, with some modifications of my own. Happy to pass it on and make the world a tastier place. :)

No problem! Good recipes are meant to be shared. This one comes mostly out of an ancient wild game cookbook my mom gave me, with some modifications of my own. Happy to pass it on and make the world a tastier place. :)
A tastier world! YES! 😂

Oh, man. My life is SO good right now! :lol: Belly full of good food, some good mellow tunes playing, a cup of tea brewing, and an hour or two with a good book before bedtime. Ain't life grand.

I meant to take a picture of the stroganoff but it didn't last long enough. Catch you all later.

sounds like you had a great meal, WB. And to think you still have all that delicious venison in the freezer to last a good part of a year..well that's a win..win! The hunter expertise has really paid off for you and your family.

So unfortunately my bird expert friend says he’s unlikely to make it due to brain damage or internal bleeding. Thankfully it doesn’t seem that my cat punctured him anywhere, most of the damage is from hitting the window. I’ve made him a heated towel nest, so hopefully even if he does die he’ll die as comfortably as possible. He’s staying in my bathroom, and I brought a pillow and blanket and have sat here with him the whole time. Will see how he’s doing in a few more hours, but as of now not really any improvement
F0C80899-ABBE-48D2-A525-F10A1A7C17C3.jpeg

you never know...miracles can happen
you probably already know this but dont feed him milk..

you never know...miracles can happen
you probably already know this but dont feed him milk..
Haha yes definitely not. It’s actually recommended to not give any food or water for the first 24 hours

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back