What are you cooking?

My mom always did so also. She would start out with sheets of bread in the oven to dry. I like to cook but am a bit too lazy for all that. I just use Stove Top and doctor it. ;)
We like our stuffing here: 2 -2.5 loaves of bread. I can't imagine how much that would cost as stove_top as the base.

Did an old favorite fast food thing for Thursday night Football. When in Texas I always liked Jack in The Box fast food. They had an item that seems to be no longer on their menu that being deep fried ravioli. Sounds odd but so good. I just used a frozen cheese rav that I like and let thaw. Do the normal egg wash breading, I used Italian panko breading. Bread and deep fry and use sketti sauce for dipping. Really simple but SO good!

While thinking I just thought that I'd throw this out there...

A LOT of people think that deep fried foods are not healthy but this really isn't all that true. The problem is that many want to fry at 350-375 degrees so heat the oil to that temperature. This is not the way to go. Depending on the amount you would want to heat the oil to 25-40 degrees higher. Think about it... when you add the food it drops the temperature of the oil so that you start cooking with the oil below the desired temperature. When done with the oil at the proper temperature the breading of batter sears and crusts so fast that next to zero oil actually penetrates the food. If done right it is actually fairly healthy.

As an aside if you like to do fried chicken especially, try adding some onion slices to the heating oil before doing any actual cooking. Let the onions fry till really dark then add the actual food. This infuses the oil with the onion flavor. Learned this trick on the Food Network which I watch way too much. ;)

Happy New Year, Fish Lovers! Here's the main course of the New Year's Eve Feast here at Badger Manor. Beef rib roast, smoked over hickory shavings from my latest bow-building project. Reuse, recycle!
roast.jpg
chips.jpg

What am I cooking?
It's New Years Ever...i'm not cooking on New Years Eve.
Got Thai food takeout. And carrot cake and ice cream for dessert.

I start eating healthy tomorrow.

So much for leftovers... ;) Was going to be the last of my last batch of sketti sauce with penne pasta and chicken parm. LOL! It is now the pizza and salad I just ordered. ;)

@Fishmanic ;) decided I didn't want to cook either. ;)

My guess is that someone is having a bit of stroganoff.

Sigh, I think it pretty obvious that I like cooking but I totally hate my stove/oven as it is electric. I SO much wish I had gas but you use what you have. ;)
Yeah, I'd rather have gas too. Maybe someday.

I just saw what might be my all-time favorite quote about cooking:

"My doctor said I have to stop throwing intimate dinners for four unless there are three other people." --Orson Wells

Asian tonight. Sechuan chicken and peanuts. I like the dish spicy.

Asian tonight. Sechuan chicken and peanuts. I like the dish spicy.
Do you do Asian as take out or from scratch? LOL! Be careful how you answer as I might ask for recipes. ;) I mean I do stir fries but it is mostly with bottled sauces.

While I LOVE Asian I would give it up for life if I could learn how to do good Jamaican Jerk. Sigh, when I lived in Florida, there was a bar/restaurant that did jerk. Pretty much once a week I go there and get their jerk chicken salad in a bread bowl. Asian is awesome but there are a lot of types such as Chinese, Japanese and Tia. With jerk it is pretty much unique to Jamaica as far as I know. I SO much wish there was a Jamaican place here in Sheridan WY.

Sigh, just did that dangerous thing I do as in having a thought. ;) We actually should expand this thread a bit to include sharing recipes. Mayhaps we could get others to try new things. In fact I'll start with my favorite all around marinade.

Marinade recipe:
Equal amounts of wine and soy. Red wine for beef and white for chicken or pork. As to the red wine I use Burgundy. As to white I tend to go with dry but, sometimes a sweet, depending on what I'm having it with.
thin sliced red onions
crushed garlic
basil

Do you do Asian as take out or from scratch? LOL! Be careful how you answer as I might ask for recipes. ;) I mean I do stir fries but it is mostly with bottled sauces.

While I LOVE Asian I would give it up for life if I could learn how to do good Jamaican Jerk. Sigh, when I lived in Florida, there was a bar/restaurant that did jerk. Pretty much once a week I go there and get their jerk chicken salad in a bread bowl. Asian is awesome but there are a lot of types such as Chinese, Japanese and Tia. With jerk it is pretty much unique to Jamaica as far as I know. I SO much wish there was a Jamaican place here in Sheridan WY.

Sigh, just did that dangerous thing I do as in having a thought. ;) We actually should expand this thread a bit to include sharing recipes. Mayhaps we could get others to try new things. In fact I'll start with my favorite all around marinade.

Marinade recipe:
Equal amounts of wine and soy. Red wine for beef and white for chicken or pork. As to the red wine I use Burgundy. As to white I tend to go with dry but, sometimes a sweet, depending on what I'm having it with.
thin sliced red onions
crushed garlic
basil
I marinated for 4 h diced white and dark meat chicken in sherry, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, crushed garlic and few tablespoons of gochujung Korean hot sauce. Then I Added just few sechjuan pepper corns. Optional.
Heated wok, added avocado oil for its high smoke point and added several cloves of crushed garlic and raw peanuts. Once peanuts were toasted I added the entire marinade mixture and woked until most of the liquid boils off. Poured the mixture over rice and enjoyed. Yum.

Most reactions

Back