What are you cooking?

Did a search for Korean restaurant in Sheridan WY and the closest to come up was Billings Montana. :( There is a Japanese steak house now but I haven't tried yet.
Billings has a glut of Chinese , Japanese and Korean restaurants but I’m not complaining , I love them . If you’re ever up here check out the all you can eat buffet at Golden Phoenix on 24th Street West . It is excellently excellent to an excellent degree .

Billings has a glut of Chinese , Japanese and Korean restaurants but I’m not complaining , I love them . If you’re ever up here check out the all you can eat buffet at Golden Phoenix on 24th Street West . It is excellently excellent to an excellent degree .
We have a couple of Chinese. One is a buffet and the other dine-in or takeout. The takeout one is handy as it is right across the street from my apartment entrance.

We also have an awesome Mexican place but there is no dine-in. It is actually a school bus converted to a food truck. Some of the best chicken enchiladas I've ever had.

We used to have a very good Chinese restaurant, but Covid did them in (the restaurant, not the owners). My current favorite local restaurant is Mount Everest Restaurant in Riverton. Really, really good Nepalese and Indian food. Their momos and tandoori are excellent.

We have a new Ma and Pa Southern Indian restaurant. First southern Indian restaurant in our area. I love their masala dosa. This is a thin crepe-like food made from chickpea flour. It is stuffed with ghee -infused mashed potatoes and rolled into burrito shape. It’s about 2 feet long and it is meant to be shared. It comes with three different dipping sauces. You just tear off a piece and dip. BTW Southern Indian cuisine is extremely spicy. I love it.

We have a new Ma and Pa Southern Indian restaurant. First southern Indian restaurant in our area. I love their masala dosa. This is a thin crepe-like food made from chickpea flour. It is stuffed with ghee -infused mashed potatoes and rolled into burrito shape. It’s about 2 feet long and it is meant to be shared. It comes with three different dipping sauces. You just tear off a piece and dip. BTW Southern Indian cuisine is extremely spicy. I love it.
I would LOVE to try some Indian food but don't recall ever having. Just did a search and we may just have a couple in Sheridan WY. :)

I also wish we had a Greek gyro place here. Used to have a small takeout only place that was really good but they closed down. Actually the fast food Arby's has an acceptable gyro if you order the 'Classic Greek Gyro' even using lamb but it still isn't the real thing. When I lived in Florida there was actually a Greek deli that was awesome. Great gyros and even did a Greek style pizza. They would do a red sauce pizza but mainly a white sauce.

I use a lot of button shrooms and just searched and found that I can freeze. Takes a little prep before freezing but nothing major. Why do I want to freeze? Since I went to Omaha Steaks for most of my food I still need to go to the local grocery for things like milk, butter, onions, bell peppers, juices and such including shrooms. Since I already know how to freeze peppers and onions this cuts down on my trips to the grocery.

Tomorrow will be a trip to the grocery and I need buns. I REALLY want to try one of the Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon ground burger patties. Also need to replenish my A-1 sauce and get some yellow mustard and Miracle Whip. Also need to get things like gravy packs and frozen juice concentrates. I want to get as close as I can to going to the grocery once a month.

Last edited:
Tonight will be a try of Omaha Steaks' ground Filet Mignon burger patties. I have doubts as a filet has very little fat which is needed in a good burger and, in my opinion, a filet lacks flavor. Still they seem popular and 4 were free with my meat order. Who knows, they may be great. I'll do with grilled onion and Swiss cheese.

While I MAY start it tonight tomorrow will be sketti sauce with either shells or cheese raviolis. The sauce will have meatballs from Omaha Steaks, a little chicken also from Omaha Steaks, bell peppers, onions, shrooms and black olives. I'm really hoping that the meatballs are good. I've tried several predone meatballs and some have had decent taste but all tend to be too dense. So far all the meat from Onaha Steaks has been excellent so I have hopes for the meatballs but, also, doubts. Actually, my main hope for the meatballs, is a good meatball sub with onion, black olive, bell pepper and smothered in mozzarella cheese. Another is using one of the breaded chicken cutlets for chicken Parmesan but with mozzarella instead of parm. I already know that the breaded chicken cutlets are good so it is a gimme that that aspect will be good.

I bought a precooked whole rotisserie chicken from the supermarket tonight. I'll make McCormicks gravy and make a nice salad. I'll eat leftoverss tomorrow and then I'll make a nice chicken soup with the carcass and add onions, carrots, and celery to the soup.
I bought a small carrot cake and also ice cream for dessert.

Sketti sauce is on the stove but not for tonight. Takes 2 days for my sauce. Everything is in except shrooms as they break down too fast. I add the shrooms on the second cooking. Sauce will slow simmer for about 6 hours today then stove goes off to let cool down. Then it goes in the fridge and cooks again tomorrow. Don't really know why but it is plain fact that any tomato based sauce is better if cooked, chilled and cooked again.

I bought a precooked whole rotisserie chicken from the supermarket tonight. I'll make McCormicks gravy and make a nice salad. I'll eat leftoverss tomorrow and then I'll make a nice chicken soup with the carcass and add onions, carrots, and celery to the soup.
I bought a small carrot cake and also ice cream for dessert.
Just a thought on the leftover chicken. Makes for a good taco or enchilada. ;) Actually, if you just use breast on first eating the dark meat makes for a good cacciatore or, in the language, hunters stew.. Cook down the dark meat with diced tomatoes, onion, bell peppers and shrooms and serve over egg noodles. Spice with sage, basil and ground rosemary along with anything in your fridge such as left over carrots. The stuff is just awesome! BTW, if you ever do cacciatore from scratch always use thighs.

Sketti sauce is on the stove but not for tonight. Takes 2 days for my sauce. Everything is in except shrooms as they break down too fast. I add the shrooms on the second cooking. Sauce will slow simmer for about 6 hours today then stove goes off to let cool down. Then it goes in the fridge and cooks again tomorrow. Don't really know why but it is plain fact that any tomato based sauce is better if cooked, chilled and cooked again.
Mr. J, You seem to be an excellent chef so I have a cooking question. I bought a small chuck eye roast for the first time. Do you braise it like a chuck roast or do you roast it like a rib roast?

Mr. J, You seem to be an excellent chef so I have a cooking question. I bought a small chuck eye roast for the first time. Do you braise it like a chuck roast or do you roast it like a rib roast?
You can do either. Braised makes for a good pot roast and roasting would be more like a traditional roast. If you happen to have one, as I do, I would do on a rotisserie if it is boneless. I cut grooves about 1/4 inch deep like you would see on a ham. While on the rotisserie I then baste with watered down BBQ sauce often. Makes for a tangy/sweet crust on the roast. You can do the same in your oven but it is better on a rotisserie.

Just thought of something... The rotisserie aspect only works if it is a round roast. If the roast is flat it won't work.

Cooking the second time the sauce for sketti, sketti sketti. Actually it will probably be cheese raviolis but still pasta. In my humble opinion pasta is a food group in itself. ;) The sauce has Omaha Steaks meatballs to try. I have hopes for the meatballs but there are some doubts as they are totally beef. If I do from scratch they would be 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork as the pork adds moisture. Some add veal but I don't as I don't like how they are raised.

Next pasta eating will be with chicken parm using one of the breaded chicken cutlets from Omaha Steaks. I have already tried one of the cutlets as a sandwich and know they are good. Should make excellent chicken parm. :)

Most reactions

Back