What are differences between aquariums owned by rich people vs aquariums owned by poor/normal people?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have noticed a difference in how rich people keep aquariums versus how poor or normal people keep aquariums.

Obviously the biggest difference is going to be the tank size and when compared to the usual home tank the difference is huge because these aquariums can be as large as 30 000 liters as seen in a video displaying a tank owned by a rich Israeli man which is enough to house an adult arapaima in there which is one of the largest freshwater fish in the world and the largest in South america.

There are other differences as well such as much more different and technologically advanced equipment and the things needed to be done such as plumbing.

But what are the other biggest differences in how aquariums kept by the rich and aquariums kept by the typical home owner? .

I have several things I have seen...

Rich:
1( They buy bigger tanks
2( They buy “better” tanks. (Tank brands like FLUVAL)
3( They buy expensive substrate
4( They buy expensive fish
5( They brag

“Poor”:
1( They buy sensible equipment
2( They care more for their fish*
3( They essentially do everything opposite of what I said above.

* My pint of view, is that rich people don’t care about their fish. If some of their fish die, what do they care? They just go buy more. “Poor” aquarium owners tend to care more about their fish.

This is just my experience. :)

Yes, custom tanks, rim less, etc.

It’s just stuff that makes me drool, lol.:drool:

Tbh I haven't noticed a huge difference. "Rich" people seem to have bigger tanks, more equipment, usually better quality equipment, more expensive fish/"rarer" fish. But then I haven't met anyone whos "poor"... After all, its a pretty expensive hobby.

Tbh I haven't noticed a huge difference. "Rich" people seem to have bigger tanks, more equipment, usually better quality equipment, more expensive fish/"rarer" fish. But then I haven't met anyone whos "poor"... After all, its a pretty expensive hobby.
I live below the poverty line :(

----------------
Rich people have custom built tanks as already mentioned.
They can afford the best gear, including automatic water change systems and water monitoring systems.
They usually have more unusual fishes that cost more, but many also have common fishes.
Most rich people do care about their fish and try to take care of them.
A lot of rich people do enjoy talking about their fishy hobby, but so do poor people. I mean seriously, when you walk into a house and there is an aquarium that runs along the entire wall, it catches your attention and you ask about it. The owner then politely responds to your awe and tells you about their tank.

Last edited:
The rich always buy rimless tanks while poor/normal people will typically buy tanks with rims.
Not true. I got a 'rimless' tank that was unexpected. Well the bottom is rimmed but the top isn't.

I feel this thread could be offensive to some 'poor' people. And by poor I don't mean homeless people. Just those with a lower income.

I’m a bit perplexed by the notion that any inherent differences between aquariums of “rich” and “poor” need to be pointed out. Everyone’s situation is different. Income, interest level in the hobby, living space, priorities and ultimate goals are different across the board. To generally categorize one group as better fish keepers or having better aquariums is rather foolish.

I spent my childhood and 20’s at a very low income level but had very keen interest in aquaria. I had all sorts of setups then, some fancy, some barebones. Now, after years of learning a trade and slaving away as a cook in prestigious kitchens, I have a much better financial stability as a chef. My current aquariums don’t reflect any difference in my income. I’m still the same person with the same interest in aquariums.

I’m a bit perplexed by the notion that any inherent differences between aquariums of “rich” and “poor” need to be pointed out. Everyone’s situation is different. Income, interest level in the hobby, living space, priorities and ultimate goals are different across the board. To generally categorize one group as better fish keepers or having better aquariums is rather foolish.

I spent my childhood and 20’s at a very low income level but had very keen interest in aquaria. I had all sorts of setups then, some fancy, some barebones. Now, after years of learning a trade and slaving away as a cook in prestigious kitchens, I have a much better financial stability as a chef. My current aquariums don’t reflect any difference in my income. I’m still the same person with the same interest in aquariums.
I agree.

Same (ish)

I'm neither poor, nor rich, but I find it strange that simply by having more money you would be seen as not caring as much about your fish. And I've seen plenty of poor/normal people bragging about their fish too. I see a great amount of people "bragging" about their fish and tanks on aquarium forums, I assume they (including many on this forum) aren't all rich. I'm sure I would brag a little if I had anything to brag about. Poor people, rich people, they are all people after all.

It just comes down how accessible some pieces of equipment and larger tanks are. Even then, a "normal" person can easily attain a large tank and expensive equipment. Just get it second hand!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back