What Am I?

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
3,290
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hudson, Wisconsin USA
I couldn't resist this guy at the lfs. He is very tiny, about 2cm. He was is a 80 gal tank and at least half of the fish in there could easily eat him :crazy: . He was really fast and it took the guy forever to catch him :lol: . I'm thinking he is some sort of badis, but he is blue and the shop only sells scarlet badis. Any ideas?
fry039.jpg

fry040.jpg


thanks,
Mikaila31
 
I see these guys all the time at shops but can't think of the name for the life of me.
 
electric blue johanni??

i almost bought one not long ago, but not community fish :(
 
its some kind of cichlid. probably nesto going to the cichlids forum for a id.

but as said its not a community fish.

chris
 
I would think it's a Johanni, although it looks similar to another African Cchlid I too cannot name at the moment. Either way, it will probably become too aggressive for a community tank...
 
Johanni is the name I was trying to think of. I think that's it but it would be confirmed by the African Cichlids forum regulars if one of them could be tempted to look. :P
 
It's definately mbuna. It's not p.socolofi or m.johanni, socolofi are a solid blue with dark fins, johanni have horizontal strips. I'm fairly certain it's metriaclima lombardoi also known as a Kenyi. Juveniles are blue while adult females keep their juvenile coloration, males turn yellow. This is a highly aggressive species, IMO I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller that 75gal and only with other aggressive mbuna. They are a beautiful little fish and are found in most pet stores, unfortunately they're just not suitable for most tanks.

[URL="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=798"]http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=798[/URL]
 
I've seen the male adults in shops too no doubt there because their owners found them to be too aggressive.
 
awww :/ . I really liked the little guy and I didn't think he could do any harm at his present size. So far, he has been peaceful(crosses fingers). He is in a 20 gal with 3 swordtails, 1 female betta, 2 corys, bunch of cherry shrimp, and some swordtail fry. I will do some research on him and I will probably hang on to him until he starts causing problems or gets too big. Then I will take him back to the store I got him from, unless anyone in the minneapolis/ st. paul area wants him :D.
fry060.jpg


thanks,
Mikaila31
 

Most reactions

Back
Top