Weird Staurogyne Repens Fungus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After some research today I came to the conclusion that my S Repens have a fungal infection of some form which seems to affect just this plant in particular. It starts as a really small circular patch on the leaf which has disintegrated, and then over the course of a week or so the entire plant disintegrates. Here's a pic of the melt mid stage that I took from another site.

uploadfromtaptalk1373980013291.jpg

At first I thought it was a rouge snail but after searching through other forums their experience matched mine. Plant flourishes and then after 1-3 months these spots appear, plant melts/dies and then the neighboring S repens, until the entire "bunch" is wiped out. The trouble is I really love this plant but never knew it was susceptible to this fungus? What other plants would you recommend as a good substitute in terms of height and appearance? 

I've never really heard of plant fungus before, But I never suffer from it.

What do you dose fert wise? Could it not be a lack of vital ferts that causing them to die after a set period of time.

I dose EI specifically for my tank volume, pressurized CO2, and a photo period of 6 hours. The plant from every indication was flourishing and this seems to be when this fungus hits. In short it's not down to a lack of any specific plant requirement. It appears to be a fungus...

It looks like melt to me, the tops look healthy. Stua fungus is super rare...trim the tops and replant and see what happens.

Very odd, it does look to be missing things. I have never heard of a plant fungusing, do you have a link to any articles explaining what it is? Has ti been tested to be a fungus and not a lack of nutrients? I understand about the dosing but is your light high enough? his plan is pretty fickle at times. 

To be fair, looking at the post I myself would consider it some type of deficiency but it doesn't affect the plant as a bunch rather one plant at a time and then moves onto to the adjacent plant. The plant decays in a way I have never seen before. The S repens doesn't lose leaves, show any know signs of deficiency, or wither away. The "fungus" leaves the entire plant standing but translucent, almost florescent under t5's and looking on other forums most people call it a "melt" but one which strikes just S repens.

I don't have much S repens left. But if you look towards the back of this bunch you'll see the plants in the second stage. In under three days (usually 48hours after the first spot shows up) the entire plant will be for want of a better term "stripped of all green" but still standing.

6s6qsm.jpg

As for getting some type of ID for the "fungus" I don't have that type of know how. There are a few guys on tpt and perhaps one or two on ukaps who have that capacity but I doubt they'd look into something which from research seems rare, 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back