Weird fly hatching out of tank?! Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darkomot

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
About 5 days ago I bought Hornwort and Duckweed from a local guy that had a pond in his backyard in Wisconsin. About 2 days after adding the plants to my tank, I've begun to notice a few of these small black/yellow flies on plants on the surface of the tank. Should I worry about these? I've found about 5 so far. Can anyone identify them/help decide what I should do? Thanks! IMG_20201008_121435.jpg
IMG_20201008_121517.jpg
IMG_20201008_122736.jpg
IMG_20201008_121435.jpg

Now that the fry has been resolved, I need to address the major issue here...

It is not recommended to keep bettas with any other species of fish, in the same tank. Even if they both seem to be getting along, they can both get very stressed out, which leads to the death of one or both fish. Bettas should especially not be kept with any fish that has long, colorful tails, as these resemble another betta.

Could also just be midges. I get them in my tanks too. Fish like to eat their larvae and any adult they see

Now that the fry has been resolved, I need to address the major issue here...

It is not recommended to keep bettas with any other species of fish, in the same tank. Even if they both seem to be getting along, they can both get very stressed out, which leads to the death of one or both fish. Bettas should especially not be kept with any fish that has long, colorful tails, as these resemble another betta.
I understand your concern, and I actually did a ton of research and spoke to a lot of people before making the decision to put a betta with guppies. I am not someone that went to a fish store and just chose the fish that look cool and threw them together. So far I have had zero aggression issues and no signs of stress in the betta nor the guppies. Additionally, the tank is heavily planted and has multiple other hiding places for the fish. I think that it's these things that have made me able to house these fish together. That being said, I value your opinion and will continue to watch out for signs of stress. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back