Weird dream

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday I was doing some passive research on tankmates for bettas because one of the videos I watched said that they get lonely without other (non-betta) fish. I decided about halfway through the first video I didn't really trust the source, nor was it time to think about it since my betta is still recovering, so I finished the video and then thought nothing more of it. Last night though I had a dream/nightmare that I decided to get like 10 neon tetras and a puffer fish of all things to add to my tank. In the dream my betta was schooling along beside the tetras, but for some reason I decided this wasn't the best choice and wanted them out of his tank immediately. I started panicking though because I had nowhere to put them so I shoved them into this larger bowl, and my noob anxiety kicked in because I thought they were all going to die because I jumped the gun with getting fish again.

A stupid thing to worry about, but it has definitely put me off tankmates without extensive extensive research and recommendations.

By nature, Bettas are aggressive fish. They will attack any smaller fish if they can.
Unless you have a big tank, it's risky to keep them with other fish.

Also, I find that some Bettas are more aggressive than others. Plakat(short tail and fins) is usually more aggressive. The veil tail type seems to be less aggressive.
But again, each Betta might be different.

The easiest way to know is by observing them when they are in the fish store.
If I want a Betta that can be kept in community tank, I will look for a fish store where they keep the Betta in community tank. That is the safer way to ensure that it can be kept in community tank.
A few months ago, I bought a small Koi Betta Plakat which I am now keeping it in my community tank.
It will chase my Killifish once in a while.
But it will run away when my Discus move near to it. My Discus are many times bigger than my Betta.

By nature, Bettas are aggressive fish. They will attack any smaller fish if they can.
Unless you have a big tank, it's risky to keep them with other fish.

Also, I find that some Bettas are more aggressive than others. Plakat(short tail and fins) is usually more aggressive. The veil tail type seems to be less aggressive.
But again, each Betta might be different.

The easiest way to know is by observing them when they are in the fish store.
If I want a Betta that can be kept in community tank, I will look for a fish store where they keep the Betta in community tank. That is the safer way to ensure that it can be kept in community tank.
A few months ago, I bought a small Koi Betta Plakat which I am now keeping it in my community tank.
It will chase my Killifish once in a while.
But it will run away when my Discus move near to it. My Discus are many times bigger than my Betta.
That's good to know! I had a betta when I was younger that unfortunately chased our mollies around a lot, and while my main focus is my betta I don't want to cause other fish unnecessary stress either. He came in a cup, but my big worry was that the video insisted that bettas need company. As long as that's not true I won't worry about it, but I may consider getting a snail or something down the road

Good to know I'm not the only one who dreams about fish (insert laughing kicking emoji because I can't get it on phone for some reason)
I'm using a phone too. Click the green gear. Then the smile face. Then the emoji you want :)

Just to add more information about Bettas.
The long tail and fins Bettas cannot be kept with "fins nipping" fish like the Tetras or other Cichlids.
Their long fins and tail are easily tear apart by other fish. So, for the long fins and tail type of Bettas, they are more suitable to be kept alone.

Just to add more information about Bettas.
The long tail and fins Bettas cannot be kept with "fins nipping" fish like the Tetras or other Cichlids.
Their long fins and tail are easily tear apart by other fish. So, for the long fins and tail type of Bettas, they are more suitable to be kept alone.
Hank definitely has long fins lol. He also likes to nip at anything even remotely worm-like, so I think even non-fish might be out if they have antennae. It's okay though, as long as he's not lonely I'm okay with him being the only fish

Hank definitely has long fins lol. He also likes to nip at anything even remotely worm-like, so I think even non-fish might be out if they have antennae. It's okay though, as long as he's not lonely I'm okay with him being the only fish
That is why you probably couldn’t keep him with any sort of mystery snail or shrimp.

Bettas aren’t community fish and shouldn’t be kept as such. :)

Put a mirror in his tank for 20 minuits every day so he wont be bored or put in a ping pong ball for him to play with (I just got this knowledge from another thread)

Put a mirror in his tank for 20 minuits every day so he wont be bored or put in a ping pong ball for him to play with (I just got this knowledge from another thread)
20 minutes is too long, he will stress himself out trying to fight the reflection. À couple minutes is plenty

I don't have any portable mirrors but I can definitely try the ping pong thing! We have a whole box from a party, how many should I drop in?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back