Weight Bearing And Overhang

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm looking a getting a new tank and have found a bare 4ft for £40. My only concerns are whether my sideboard would be able to support it and also if it is safe to have about an inch overhang on each side?

What are your thoughts?

I dont think it would be safe to have any of the bottom unsupported

I've had a cm overhang, but dont think i'd be comfy with an inch unsupported

I do plan on having a piece of plywood underneath which will be the same width as the tank which will provide it with support

If the wood is thick enough to not bow under the tanks weight, it should be ok

I will add that I had a tank for several months overhanging about 6 inches on each side with no issues. I hadn't even really thought about it being unevenly supported.  I still have the tank, which now has it's own stand, and haven't had any issues with it.  It was also a second hand tank. 

I am in no way saying you should keep a tank like that long term, or even short term, I am just adding in my experience in which a tank was okay for a short period of time like that. IMO plywood wouldn't be helpful unless it was very thick, as it would just bend rather than support.  I would try to go for a harder wood, even if you just get two smaller pieces, place them at the edges to compensate for over hang, and the brace them well.

Personally I would do it, it will work for a while but it could go at any time, especially if it has a high capacity like most 4 foots do, the problem with even small overlaps is that there is still a weight of water and its over the joints of silicon which are the weakest part of the tank.

Wills

I have been speaking to a company that builds custom tanks and for just over £200 they will make me a 4ft x 1ft3" x 1ft6" tank and will supply me with an 18mm board to go underneath the tank which will support the inch overhang on either side of my unit. This will also include a lid and lights so reckon that is the option I will take once I raise the funds

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back