weather loach or stone loach

loates123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can some one explain the two and can u give them on there own

Both stone and weather loaches like to be kept with their own kind.

Stone link

Weather link

I have never seen stone loaches but I keep weather loaches currently. What size is your tank and what aould they be going in with?

Becareful with either of these guys, I lost one yesterday. He got stuck in the hole in my clown loaches pot. I wasn't home at the time, poor guy. Just a word of warning, don't have anything they can get into and not out of. He will be missed.

i think i would only want one stone loach on it own if thats possible i dont like the look of the weather loachs look like eels..

please see my other post for tank details and other fish

The Stone Loach is a small freshwater fish attaining 7 to 14 cms in length. It is found in rivers, steams and the the high regions of lakes, but will not tolerate low oxygen levels so is not found in many nutrient-rich lowland lakes. The favoured habitats are small oxygen-rich streams. It hides among stones or within vegetation. The geographical range covers both Europe and Asia. They feed on bottom-living invertebrates and are themselves preyed upon by trout and other predatory fish. The eggs are released amongst gravel to which they adhere. They can live for at least 5 years and can produce 10,000 or more eggs. A nice fish, if you can find them.

Nemacheilus barbatulus Stone Loach is often fished out of local streams by children along with the Stickleback. They are similar to the Wheather Loach and Spined Loach all requiring cool, clean, clear and well oxygenated water to thrive.

thanks my local garden centre has these in stock but i would only buy one not two , i dont want to many fish in my tank

Considering you want to put tench in a tank, I do not understand why you would want to keep one lonely loach.

I don't know enough about stone loaches but I know that weather loaches are great.

Ive got 2 weather loaches and they love each others company.They're very slimy though and they can jump through gaps in the roof of the tank.

dead_letters said:
Ive got 2 weather loaches and they love each others company.They're very slimy though and they can jump through gaps in the roof of the tank.
LOL

All fish are slimy when not in the water. It's called their slime coat.

:lol:

HillStream Loaches are cool its fun watching them eat algae and sucking on the window.... they dont get very big i think 5cm or so...here is a piccy of mine.

eba00429956f00000001.jpg

i keep a fry tank for fry out of the pond, would putting a loach in with them be a good idea to help the snails with algae control?

I don't heat it even during the winter, although I do have one if the loaches would need one if there suitable.

my tanks 2x1x1 ft and has an undergravel filter system going.

paul_v_biker said:
i keep a fry tank for fry out of the pond, would putting a loach in with them be a good idea to help the snails with algae control?

I don't heat it even during the winter, although I do have one if the loaches would need one if there suitable.

my tanks 2x1x1 ft and has an undergravel filter system going.
You could put some Hillstream Loaches in there, they wouldn't harm the fry. They may eat a little algae but they tend to feed mainly on micro organisms. They also like a fast current which probably wouldn't suit the fry.

there's kind of a fast current in there and the fry seems to love it, there aleways shoaling dirrectly into it!!

i'm pretty sure there Rudd left in there now, since i put the bigger fry out of the tank and into the pond they'ved al gorwn a pretty amazing ammount, due to the reduction in those chemicals they release!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back