Ways To Kill A Fish

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
The poor gourami is well passed saving and must be in pain with organ failure

Ibuprofin any good i have no clove oil?

will delete topic after deed done and i have answers
 
got a knife? slice down the neck, or rap in a peice of tissue, and using a rolling pin, knock the head. these are instant. also you could put some water in the freezer then add ice cubes when its still liquid so its ice cold then put the fish in, but IMO this takes longer as does clove oil.
 
Bury or burn the body after you have dispatched the fish. Don't flush it down the loo because the diseases can get into the natural waterways and affect native fishes.

Whacking a bloated gourami isn't the best thing to do. It is the quickest but also the messiest. I prefer the small container of water put in the freezer with the fish in it. Leave until frozen then bury the body.

And make sure you wash your hands well with soapy water after handling it.
 
knock it on the head i do this when going trout fishing kills them instantly and they dont feel a thing
 
I have herd of people getting a bowl of water and adding 3 sleeping pills and it just knocks the fish out .but just get it over with fast.
 
I think the easiest and most efficient way would be to decapitate the fish. It's quick and guaranteed to minimize suffering. IMO, it's the best way to euthanise a fish, if you have the heart to do it that is.
 
It sounds gruesome but for smallish fish, I simply mash them with brick. I've had a couple tetras that were in bad shape. I simply put them in a plastic bag, and then mash them with a brick. It's over immediately. I'm not sure about decapitation as I think the brain and nervous system may continue to function for a period of time. I know many years ago when I used to fish a lot and cleaned the fish to eat, the mouth and gills would sometimes continue to move after the head had been cut off.
 
I'm not sure about decapitation as I think the brain and nervous system may continue to function for a period of time. I know many years ago when I used to fish a lot and cleaned the fish to eat, the mouth and gills would sometimes continue to move after the head had been cut off.

Decapitation should be followed by Pithing - the destruction of the brain by inserting the blade into the brain and ensuring the central nervous systems is completely destroyed.
 
I'm not sure about decapitation as I think the brain and nervous system may continue to function for a period of time. I know many years ago when I used to fish a lot and cleaned the fish to eat, the mouth and gills would sometimes continue to move after the head had been cut off.
Decapitation should be followed by Pithing - the destruction of the brain by inserting the blade into the brain and ensuring the central nervous systems is completely destroyed.
But surely in that time frame between the cutting and the pithing, there is some pain (I know the discussion of whether fish feel pain as we know it or not is a whole story to itself) for the fish. On larger species, I'm sure this is probably the prefered method as it would pobviously be difficult to mash a 18" pleco. I guess you could actually do the pithing first and then sever the head but in that case would there really be any need for decapitation?
 
Damn I really hope I don't ever have to do any of these things but If do I would probably use the sleeping pill method joshrm suggested.
 
this thread has turnd into 100hundred ways to quish a fish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top