Water ??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you can make distilled water, it is fine to mix with the tap water to drop the GH, KH and pH.
Problem solved then if that lowers the count. Boiling sap tomorrow so I will set the distiller up and multi task.

Many Thanks for walking me through this.

Btw- at 104 ppm of bicarbonate, that is where a lot of your kH is from. mostly the KH in tanks comes from carbonates and bicarbonates. I am surprised you pH is 7.2 . With your reported KH I would have e expected higher. Are you reporting the tap pH or the tank pH?

I have well water and it comes out of the ground loaded with CO2 which makes the pH drop. From the tap my pH reads below 6.5. When I outgas the tap water, the pH is ranges from 7.0 and 7.4. The range is over two decades and the changes occurred pretty slowly (over years).
You can get a better understanding of this by having a read here: https://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin.html
Read the two sections in Practical Fresh Water Chemistry.
The 104 refers to a spring that is at Spa State Park. It is my beer water source. I had questioned its suitability as tank water and got a thumbs down.The kh in my tank using my well as is reads 160.

I will read the link and appreciate you providing it.

As I was pulling the still parts from the coffin room storage area Linda asked why with the comment, we have plenty of "hand sanitizer" in the cupboard. To make distilled water I relied and explained what for. But honey, why not just draw water from the rain catchment system. The 250 gallon garage tank is at least half full. Back goes the still.

Pretty certain the rainwater will have some bacteria in it so as I type Linda is doing a big boil in my 12-gallon brew pot. When it cools we will mix with tap water and arrive at suitable parameters. I had completely neglected to think of this apparently easy fix. To my knowledge rain is the purist form of natural water and we have two catchment systems that we use to water gardens, and each was reconnected last week in anticipation of spring.

That water is available from March through end of November when I disassemble the gutter systems. Another problem solved I think.

The 104 refers to a spring that is at Spa State Park. It is my beer water source. I had questioned its suitability as tank water and got a thumbs down.The kh in my tank using my well as is reads 160.

I will read the link and appreciate you providing it.
Linda printed the entire article last night and we will each read it. I guess one of the advantages of being retired without the tired is having the energy to be busy with things that could never be done when working.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back