Water ??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oldspartan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Received kh/gh api test kit yesterday. Did test just now 3x each just to be sure.

Kh was 8 or 9. Began turning at 8 - bright yellow at 9 drops.

Gh was 15 to 16 - began turn at 15 and deep green at 16.

Do I understand correctly that kh is about 140 and gh is about 300.

Corrections needed in this 20 gallon tank?
It has 4 Molly 5 neon 3 guppies and 3 cory

Received kh/gh api test kit yesterday. Did test just now 3x each just to be sure.

Kh was 8 or 9. Began turning at 8 - bright yellow at 9 drops.

Gh was 15 to 16 - began turn at 15 and deep green at 16.

Do I understand correctly that kh is about 140 and gh is about 300.

Corrections needed in this 20 gallon tank?
It has 4 Molly 5 neon 3 guppies and 3 cory
I should add ph is 7.2 am 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5.

We tend to worry less about pH and kh but it's the gh we pay attention to in particular. PH, as long as it remains relatively stable with consistent large water changes won't be a problem to most fish. I'm not overly familiar with the test kit you're using but the easiest way to check what you're working with it by visiting your local water providers website, pop your postcode in and you'll get a number either in German degrees or ppm for gh. If you post that number here we can help you from there 🙂

My water comes from our artesian well. I do not know the parameters other than the PH 7.5, and that it is bacteria free. I do know there is iron it. I can take a sample to the LFS and have it tested.

The test kit I am using for GH and KH is an API test kit. It tells me to add one drop at a time, gently agitate the bottle, and repeat until the color change is evident as described.

The KH took 9 drops. I look at the included chart and it has degree range and translates that to ppm. I am guessing each drop is one degree but the instruction sheet is either very vague or I am very thick. Likely the latter The same process is used for GH which I count 16 drops before the color change.

Using a guess of each drop equaling one degree I arrive at a KH of 150and a GH of 300 (PPM). My PH is 7.2 in the same tank of that I am certain. I did a 40% water change, 7 gallons, yesterday 24 hours before the test I am describing. I do a 6-7 gallon exchange twice weekly in that tank.

I hope this helps you help me.:confused:

Each drop is 1 dGH, and 1 dGH = 17.8 ppm.
So your KH is 160ppm and your GH is 285ppm.
Ideal for the mollies and guppies which need hard water, not so great for the neons and corys which prefer soft water.

Each drop is 1 dGH, and 1 dGH = 17.8 ppm.
So your KH is 160ppm and your GH is 285ppm.
Ideal for the mollies and guppies which need hard water, not so great for the neons and corys which prefer soft water.
Thank You. I plan on checking the 37 this afternoon but it is doubtful the parameters will vary much, same water supply and same 35 - 40 percent twice weekly water changes.

I have two tanks in the basement as well as a 5 Linda has Molly Fry in that are about three weeks old. I guess I had better start cycling the 29-gallon tank unless there is a way to make the existing tank into a happy medium for the cory and neon. We want no mortality that is caused by our ineptitude. I really prefer not to add another tank yet because placement will change when the room is complete, and I am realizing that tank movement with lives in it is going to be a chore.

I tested molly water in Mexico and Honduras, and averaged out around 270 Gh. So that's great for the livebearers.

The tetras will be unhappy, but we tend to overgeneralize on Corydoras. My understanding is species like paleatus and aeneus are fine up to 19DGH, and that the Genus Corydoras is variable in its water needs. It's a huge grouping from very different habitats. Aeneus and paleatus are the most popular, even if not the prettiest. That could be a reason, as far as the trade is concerned.
So what species of Cory do you have?

They are Corydoras Trilineatus per my receipt. Look a bit like an aquatic leopard.

Set up a second aquarium and move the neons and Cories into it. Then use a 50/50 mix of reverse osmosis water with tap water for the neon and Cory tank. Leave the mollies and guppies in straight well water.

Set up a second aquarium and move the neons and Cories into it. Then use a 50/50 mix of reverse osmosis water with tap water for the neon and Cory tank. Leave the mollies and guppies in straight well water.
A quick look at RO systems looks like they are affordable but require plumbing. I can do that when doing the mechanicals for the new room.

We often draw water from the State Seal Spring at Saratoga State Park for beer and wine making it has the following analysis:

Perhaps this would substitute for the time being??

Slapping self on head. I am overthinking this, a common ailment of mine when I get confused.

I have a distiller and can easily distill 5 gallons quickly and easily. That should substitute for RO water I think?

The water used for beer has a high bicarbonate and 174 elements in it. I would want to see what those 174 elements are before drinking it or using it in an aquarium. But you could try mixing it with the tap water (50/50) and then test the pH, GH & KH and compare it to your normal tap water.

Slapping self on head. I am overthinking this, a common ailment of mine when I get confused.

I have a distiller and can easily distill 5 gallons quickly and easily. That should substitute for RO water I think?
If you can make distilled water, it is fine to mix with the tap water to drop the GH, KH and pH.

Btw- at 104 ppm of bicarbonate, that is where a lot of your kH is from. mostly the KH in tanks comes from carbonates and bicarbonates. I am surprised you pH is 7.2 . With your reported KH I would have e expected higher. Are you reporting the tap pH or the tank pH?

I have well water and it comes out of the ground loaded with CO2 which makes the pH drop. From the tap my pH reads below 6.5. When I outgas the tap water, the pH is ranges from 7.0 and 7.4. The range is over two decades and the changes occurred pretty slowly (over years).
You can get a better understanding of this by having a read here: https://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin.html
Read the two sections in Practical Fresh Water Chemistry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back