FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ian.ryan

Reaction score
Hi I have my first fish in my new tank, fish and plants doing well ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 40 ppm. over the last couple of day, I have noticed that the water has become cloudy, the fish have been in 4 days so tonight I have cleaned the glass and cleaned the gravel and the top filter page is there anything else I need to do. I have noticed that there is a lot of stuff on top of the sand so I cleaned that the best I could.

First, did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

Cloudiness of the water is due to one (or more) factors. Suspended particulate matter (this can come in the tap water, or be stirred up from the substrate) or bacteria (a bacterial bloom when certain bacteria multiply very rapidly to consume organics suspended or dissolved in the water). Neither in itself is really dangerous, though the bacterial bloom could be linked to some other issue, which is why I asked about cycling.

You nitrate at 40 ppm is high for fish. Have you tested the tap water on its own for nitrate? If this is zero, then the nitrate is occurring solely within the tank, and is fairly easy to deal with. More water changes to get it below 20 ppm, and as low as possible.

First, did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

Cloudiness of the water is due to one (or more) factors. Suspended particulate matter (this can come in the tap water, or be stirred up from the substrate) or bacteria (a bacterial bloom when certain bacteria multiply very rapidly to consume organics suspended or dissolved in the water). Neither in itself is really dangerous, though the bacterial bloom could be linked to some other issue, which is why I asked about cycling.

You nitrate at 40 ppm is high for fish. Have you tested the tap water on its own for nitrate? If this is zero, then the nitrate is occurring solely within the tank, and is fairly easy to deal with. More water changes to get it below 20 ppm, and as low as possible.

I did cycle the tank before putting in fish it took 3 week to get the ammonia and nitrite down and the nitrate was 40 ppm right from the start.

I did cycle the tank before putting in fish it took 3 week to get the ammonia and nitrite down and the nitrate was 40 ppm right from the start.

OK on the cycling. You still need to test the source water (tap) on its own for nitrate. Nitrate is normally higher after cycling, but we can get that down so it is safer for the fish, but first we/you need to know if nitrate is also present in the source water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back