Water Testing

yabadaba

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South East London
For some reason I just felt the urge to test my water and all is fine apart from the ph, which is at 7.8 according to my API Master Test Kit. Now, I know that figure in itself is not too concerning, but lately I've been lazy and have been using Tetra 6-in-1 strips to do my water testing and that always indicates a ph of 6.8. I've just retested with one of the Tetra strips and, sure enough, it says 6.8. I know the liquid tests are supposed to be more accurate but those two results aren't even close. Would you definitely trust the API Master reading over the Tetra one?
 
For some reason I just felt the urge to test my water and all is fine apart from the ph, which is at 7.8 according to my API Master Test Kit. Now, I know that figure in itself is not too concerning, but lately I've been lazy and have been using Tetra 6-in-1 strips to do my water testing and that always indicates a ph of 6.8. I've just retested with one of the Tetra strips and, sure enough, it says 6.8. I know the liquid tests are supposed to be more accurate but those two results aren't even close. Would you definitely trust the API Master reading over the Tetra one?
i would trust API definitely...if still in doubt, get your LFS to test it for a confirmation result
 
Use the high range pH test, that will be more accurate.

Dont do that, iirc thats only good for 8.0 +

7.8 is fine, perfect depending on your fish. The strips are crap because they cant give an accurate reading.
 
I read where high range pH gives a more accurate reading. It is better to keep a stable pH than a fluctuating one.
 
yes it is better to keep a stable ph range, but im sure i read that the ph+ test from the API test kit was only good from 8.0 upwards, maybe im wrong though as i havnt tested my water for months.

If it is the case though the lowest the test will read is 8.0 (or whatever the lowest value is)
 
It seems like you are right, but what the hell. API sells 500 tests for $5 here, that is a good deal, I would just test it with it if you are really concerned. But I think that your pH is fine. Just keep it stable.
 
for $5 im assuming thats "500" tests with test strips?

as much as a bargain as this seems save your $5 towards the liquid API master test kit, will give you much mroe accurate results
 
Not the test strips, it is $5 for 500 liquid tests of high range pH in my area.
 
ah right, well like i said the high range will only test from a certain ph (i think its 8.0) so if your ph is 7.5 or anything under 8 it will still show as 8.0
 
Yeah, but I would buy it anyway, that is just me though. My info was sort of useless here, sorry. lol I am just weird sometimes.
 
well let me try and let you understand.

As it is a high range PH reader it will only read HIGH PH readings

This is no good to the majority of tropical fish keepers as most of us keep a community set up that has a PH of around 7.5. A test kit that cant measure 7.5 is usless then. I would be like buying a thermometer that only reads over 100 degrees yet the temp will obviously never reach that!!
 
I totally understand what you are saying, and did like 3 posts ago. Like I said, I am weird and would buy it just for the hell of it. Now, if you would, please stop hating on like every thing I say.
 
:dunno:

For other people then:

please dont buy a high range PH test as it is pointless unless you are aiming for a high PH. The high range ph test will ALWAYS at least give you the minimum value at which it can test at (i think its 8.0 for the API kit)
 
Now, let me add to that. Betta will do it because he is aloud to and even if he doesn't use it, it wont hurt anything but Ian's feelings, which Betta Boy does not really care about.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top