Water Testing Kit?

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I am going to the petstore probably sometime this week.  What kind of kit do I need and what are a few names of the good ones that really work? 

I bought the API Master Test Kit for freshwater and it is really easy to use and seems to work very well. It was about $40 Canadian. They also sell a salt water one in case you need that.
smile.png

API Master kit is a good start but it's not perfect.

My favourite kit is from the UK but I'd be tempted to try the Nutrafin kit.

I only want to spend about $15 US dollars, so any cheaper ones that still work well? 

You could just buy a single liquid test. Such as an ammonia one, which online looks to be $10.99 from PetSmart. You really should have at least the ammonia and nitrite ones. Don't get strips as they are highly inaccurate.

bluesword23516 said:
I only want to spend about $15 US dollars, so any cheaper ones that still work well? 

In general, anything that is good isn't cheap. The API kit is as good as anything around, so if money is an issue, as Ninjy says, just get the individual ammonia and nitrite tests.

Ok, so which one of the brands is the best? I have never had these test kits so i dont know which ones work and which ones dont.

API, Nutrafin and Hach tends to be the best and well known brands out there.

Hach is the most accurate but it is also the most expensive.

Nutrafin is fairly accurate, I have this kit, it is on a par, maybe a little better than API since it contains extra tests, but at almost double the price of API.

Best value for money is usually API FW Master Test Kit, imho, its not perfect by any means but certainly adequate enough for cycling a tank and general testing of tank water parameters. However, do bear in mind the API NitrAte test is the least accurate. Mainly due to the second bottle of reagent solution which must be shaken well and truly hard.

There are of course other test kits out there in the marketplace, especially paper strip kits, which are usually inaccurate and unreliable, so I do not recommend getting these at all. I think Hach actually makes these test strips as well and seems to be ok, but again they are expensive for what they are.

Yes you want a liquid kit, the strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Plus, for what it's worth, you get only 5 tests for 7$ with a box of strips, while you'll get 90 tests for 10-25$ with the liquid kit.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back