Water conditioner for small tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry for the tangents, my friend ;)
It was a simple question at the beginning and now we have scientific formulas

Interestingly in a few months I may be in a position to have a storage container for RO water but bit of a slow moving rubix cube before I get to that situation.

Wills

Anyone have a 300 gallon bucket? That's where the sit and cure technique breaks down for me.

I did half my water changes yesterday, and used a syringe on the larger changes, and the splash like mad and hope it gasses off on the others. This morning, it's the smaller breeder tanks, so syringe time it will be.

We have a really good local store here, for a small city, but I fear he's starting to go under. I need to consume dechlorinators to keep him in business.

API Tap Water conditioner which uses 1 drop per gallon also has a dose rate for larger volumes of water - 1 ml per 20 gallons.

When refilling with buckets, the water conditioner should be added to every bucketful at the dose rate for the volume of the bucket, and it's easier to measure such a small amount by counting drops. I use a 2 gallon bucket to refill so I add 2 drops. Those who use a hose to refill need to add the water conditioner straight to the tank so a lot more is added in one single dose. They would measure the amount in mls rather than drops.
I always use the dropper lid which comes with the smaller bottles. But for measuring mls I would use a syringe rather than they cup lid they provide with the larger bottles.

Wow, some put a heck of a lot of thought into this lol. A lot of conditioners on the market can safely be dosed at 5 times or more then the suggested dosage. So, this staunchly goes against my Chemistry professors advice but, as long as you are close😊.

I just bought a bottle of Seachem Prime, did the math and figured out you need 0.1mL per gallon(5mL divided by 50 US Gallons = 0.1mL), looked up the drop size of a common medical dropper sold at just about any Pharmacy(0.05mL), confirmed dosage with Seachem is in fact 2 drops per gallon, went and grabbed a 2 Pack of glass droppers at the Pharmacy for about $2, and have been dosing that way ever since.

No need to pay extra for water(diluted conditioners) just because you are running a small tank imho, just 1 drop of Prime per half a gallon(1.9L rounded) and you are done...

Oh, just fyi...

Most common ribbed glass pitchers sold at department stores are half a US Gallon or 1.9 Liters. Perfect for mixing small batches. Just 1 drop of Seachem Prime per pitcher...

Attachments

• 4627912805969p.jpeg
    4627912805969p.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 13

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back