Water Changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Performed a weekly 50 percent water change in my 75 gallon Goldfish and Guppy tank. I have 9 fairly large Goldfish all around five years old and too many Guppies in there to count. I have a set of three large sponge filters run by one AquaMiracle air pump. I have come to the conclusion that an aggressive water change routine will take the place of high end filtration, vacuuming the substrate, water testing and any medications you can think of that could be used to treat sick fish. Because if you keep the water clear of the dissolved waste material, the fish remain healthy. Large tanks are by far easier to maintain than small tanks, because of all the water. A lot of water changed regularly will dilute any pollution from the fish and plant waste, so there's nothing that can make the fish sick. All these are benefits from something as simple as a water change.

10 Tanks

I don't test water anymore because I don't miss water changes. Testing is pointless - I have a routine that keeps tanks healthy.

But I don't have 9 5 year old goldfish in a 75. If I had 2 in a tank that size, I would filter and do 2 or more 50% changes weekly. I am far too lazy to ever want goldfish indoors. I've been there, and done that.

So while I agree with you, I don't agree with you. Those goldies should be good for another 30 years of living and growing...they'll probably produce more poop in that time than would fill a room, let alone a tank.

I don't test water anymore because I don't miss water changes. Testing is pointless - I have a routine that keeps tanks healthy.

But I don't have 9 5 year old goldfish in a 75. If I had 2 in a tank that size, I would filter and do 2 or more 50% changes weekly. I am far too lazy to ever want goldfish indoors. I've been there, and done that.

So while I agree with you, I don't agree with you. Those goldies should be good for another 30 years of living and growing...they'll probably produce more poop in that time than would fill a room, let alone a tank.
Hi Gary. I've been keeping various types of Goldfish from Moors to Calicos to Shubunkins for many years and have heard of such long lived Goldfish. However, those that may possibly live that long are brought up in what's referred to as "Ideal" water conditions. I've found that Ideal is something we strive to obtain, but very, very seldom get there. In addition to large, frequent water changes, diet plays a big part. You have to feed a variety and sparingly. It's my firm belief that fish are like people, some very fortunate individuals live to a ripe, old age, but unfortunately most do not.

10 Tanks

A lot of water changed regularly will dilute any pollution from the fish and plant waste, so there's nothing that can make the fish sick.

If only it was that simple. Thereā€™s a lot of things that can make fish sick, and just diluting disease organisms wonā€™t keep the fish from getting them.
Also the wrong parameters for the fish can make them sick, however many water changes you do.
Itā€™s keeping the fish stress-free that keeps them healthy. Water changes are one way to help with that, but thereā€™s much more involved than just keeping the nitrates low. Suitable foods, an efficient filter, peaceful tankmatesā€¦ etc.

If only it was that simple. Thereā€™s a lot of things that can make fish sick, and just diluting disease organisms wonā€™t keep the fish from getting them.
Also the wrong parameters for the fish can make them sick, however many water changes you do.
Itā€™s keeping the fish stress-free that keeps them healthy. Water changes are one way to help with that, but thereā€™s much more involved than just keeping the nitrates low. Suitable foods, an efficient filter, peaceful tankmatesā€¦ etc.

Hello Ichthys. Thank you. I stand corrected. In the 19 years I've been the hobby, I've always had very good tap water. I keep forgetting there are those unfortunate people who live in areas of the country that don't have good tap water and are always battling water chemistry problems. I've never done anything more than change half the tank water every week and feed my fish a little variety every day.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back