Water changes on large tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gypsum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
In the very near future, I'm going to upgrade my 125L tank to a Fluval Roma 240L. The Fluval is sitting in the living room, waiting for me to have time and no horse drama.

How do you manage water changes on large tanks? Using my current system (a cheap siphon/gravel cleaner into buckets), it will take nine or ten buckets of water to do a 30-40% change on the 240, which gets ridiculous. The internet suggested the Python No Spill thing as the best option, but those are expensive in the UK. But is it worth the money to save the time and the hassle? I live in a flat in Glasgow, so running a garden hose outside (which I saw suggested in older threads) isn't an option.

I use a little pump attached to a length of hose pipe. I pump mine out of the door and into a drain when its wet, into the garden when dry. No reason you could not do the same into a sink or shower tray. Probably slower than siphoning into a bucket but its a good opportunity for a cup of coffee while its happening and still time to rinse the filter sponges, wipe the glass and trim the plants.

I have a 45 gallon, 55 gallon and 150 gallon that I could not have without the python. I also use it in my smaller tanks. I absolute LOVE mine! I’d stop eating for a week in order to pay for it.

Last edited:
The only drawback of the python is it does waste some water as it uses sink water pressure to aid syphoning action. But it will pump water even if your sink is higher than your tank. And it's easy to attach and use. I run about 35 ft of hose to reach all 4 of my tanks throughout the house. For me, it's been very dependable...never had a part break on it.

This must be one of the wettest places on Earth, so I'm not that worried about wasting water. :)

The Python-- best invention ever and worth every penny. Makes having 7 aquariums ( 1 of which is a 180 gallons) possible ;)
While you are actively cleaning gravel or starting a suction you use water from faucet, but once done vacuuming or geting a suction to drain tank, then can turn off water.
I waste little water.

I use an inexpensive Eco 396 submersible pump connected (via quick disconnect) to a Python type hose (although a garden hose would work too). I can pump out to the lawn or to the kitchen sink. I use the pump to refill filtered water from buckets, but a faucet adapter could also be used.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back