Water change?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Theres no real harm in doing one. If its fish in I would in order to keep levels low(you can determine when using a test kit), if its fishless you could but its not exactly necessary.
I do remember reading that sometimes doing a water change may move the cycle along a bit.

Theres no real harm in doing one. If its fish in I would in order to keep levels low(you can determine when using a test kit), if its fishless you could but its not exactly necessary.
I do remember reading that sometimes doing a water change may move the cycle along a bit.
Thanks, that's what I thought

During fishless cycling, water changes can help particularly where KH is low as the new water tops the KH up.

It has occurred to me that there is another scenario where water changes help with fishless cycling. If too much ammonia is added it is turned into so much nitrite that the cycle stalls. Water changes remove nitrite to down below stall point.
Stalled cycles used to be common with the old "add ammonia every time it drops to zero" method of fishless cycling. That's why the method on here was written. If followed exactly, nitrite can never get high enough to stall a cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back