Water change tragedy.

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jaimoe

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Last week when I was changing my water I noticed that the water coming from the tap had a funny smell to it as it flowed through my python. I already had the tanks drained so I added some extra dechlorinator and just hoped for the best. Well, I've had one cichlid pass, two zebra danios, my syndontis looks like he's going to be next, and my cory cats are just sitting there, not playing around like they usually do. Not much I can do about it I guess, but it still sucks(I was going to change the water again yesterday but I'm getting the same funny smell from the water so I'm waiting). It seems that no matter how well you care for your fish, something stupid like this can come along and start messing everything up. Part of the hobby I guess. :/
 
That really does suck big time... :( As a python user, I better be careful as well and try to detect any sign of unusual smell....
 
Yeah it is not the way the water usually smells. Almost a sulphery smell. I'm changing my betta bowls with bottled water this week and I guess I'm going to have to check the tap everyday until the smell goes away. Maybe I will call my water department and find out if they're doing something new to the water or if it's just from run off or something like that. I learned one lesson though, don't drain all of your tanks at once, do it one at a time. That way if your tap water is all messed up you won't be forced to fill all of your tanks with it.
 
Out of curiosity, how much water do you change per WC? I do about 30%, so if I detect early, they will live with the remaining 70% of water....
 
Can you get some RO water from lfs to dilute your problems till tap water is OK?




:)
 
I change 25-30% or so. I don't like to leave the water level that low though because my heaters are hang on back heaters and I can't turn them back on without filling the tank back up without risking them shattering. RO water might be something to look into if it takes a long time for the water to settle down though. Thanks for the advice!
 
There you go - one of the thing you should do is to get some submersible heaters such as Ebo Jagers. I put them near horizontally at the bottom of the tank, only few inches off from the substrates. Even if the tank is half empty, the heater is still significantly below the water level...
 
WHOA there! Ebo Jagers are no longer the fine product we all know and love! Hagen has purchased Ebo, and now look closely at the heaters. On the old style heaters, there was a wavy line at the top that said MINIMUM water level, meaning they were fully submersible. Look at them now tho... they say MAXIMUM water level!!! Hagen has made them with different components(cheaper) and now they ARE NOT FULLY SUBMERSIBLE!!! though many pet stores don't even know because the company told none of them BEWARE!! :grr:
 
shmax101 said:
WHOA there! Ebo Jagers are no longer the fine product we all know and love! Hagen has purchased Ebo, and now look closely at the heaters. On the old style heaters, there was a wavy line at the top that said MINIMUM water level, meaning they were fully submersible. Look at them now tho... they say MAXIMUM water level!!! Hagen has made them with different components(cheaper) and now they ARE NOT FULLY SUBMERSIBLE!!! though many pet stores don't even know because the company told none of them BEWARE!! :grr:
Grrr is this true??? :blink:

There goes my reliable source for the heaters! :no:
 
I still have one hang-on type that came with the first tank kit. I use it to heat up a bucket of water when I didn't know how to "feel" the temperature with my hands. I don't use 'em anymore... ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top