Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Water change question

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Bettapuppy, May 21, 2019.

1. Bettapuppy

Bettapuppy New Member
    Pet of the Month Winner!

How exactly do you do large water changes in a heated tank? I’m doing 75% water changes in my bettas tank right now as he has fin rot. I let treated tap water sit out for a few hours to get to room temperature (about 70 degrees F), but his heater is set at 78. He is sitting in a cup right now waiting for his tank to heat back up. What do you all do?

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Don't take the fish out for a start. Just leave the fish in the tank and use a gravel cleaner to drain water and suck the gunk out of the gravel.

Fill up a bucket/s with tap water and add dechlorinator. Add some boiled water to increase the temperature a bit. Aerate the bucket/s of water for at least 5 minutes (preferably 30 minutes), then add the new water to the tank.

As long as the new water is within a couple of degrees, the fish will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Byron

Byron Member

Unless you have a problem with your water heater tank in your home, you can use mixed hot/cold tap water without boiling cold water to add.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier. New Member

I just put my finger in the tank, then put my finger in the water, and make it warmer or colder

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fishaholic

Yes, if it is hot out side, you could leave it out there for about 15 min, and I should heat up. :)