Water Butt Method

Gooner

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
287
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK (Wiltshire)
I have purchased a 22 gallon water butt and filled it with untreated tap water, it has been left stagnant for two days and was woundering if the water can be used to do a water change.

Tap Water nitrates= 40ppm
Water But nitrates= 10ppm

Considerable difference. :good:

Also, if I do a 20g change every week could I fill the butt, leave for a week and then use? Would i still need to use a water conditioner to remove chlorine & chloramine? I have no test kit for chlorine.
 
umm personally I wouldn't use stagnant water for a water change, add an air pump and stone so atleast theres some circulation in the water.
 
the water will be fine to use but it is preferable to have it aerated if you are going to leave it for any length of time. However, the nitrite reading is a concern
 
the water will be fine to use but it is preferable to have it aerated if you are going to leave it for any length of time. However, the nitrite reading is a concern

Colin, he posted nitrAte postings. :nod:

Gooner - it would be best to aerate the water, and yes letting it sit will allow the chlorine to dissapate. However, it won't remove chloramine, you can call your local water department to find out if they add it. If so, you'll still need to use a water conditioner. :good:
 
oops gotcha :blush: .
I saw nitrate at 40ppm and then something under it at 10ppm. I just assumed it was nitrite not the nitrate after it was in the tub.
Aren't I bad for not reading it properly.
 
Ok, Thanks.

Off to the Lfs to get an air pump. I suppose it would be best to get a pond type as the butt is outdoors (approx 5 meters from a electrical socket) or use a pwerful pump with a long silicone tube. The tube would need to be at least 5 meters, could this be a pressure problem?
 
nope it doesn't really matter how long the airline is.
 
of course it does.

the pump will only be able to push the air a certain distance. Depends on the strength of the pump.

or atleast in my experience.....
 
Off to the Lfs to get an air pump. I suppose it would be best to get a pond type as the butt is outdoors (approx 5 meters from a electrical socket) or use a pwerful pump with a long silicone tube. The tube would need to be at least 5 meters, could this be a pressure problem?
the only problem you will have is to do with the actual depth of the water container. The deeper the water the more back pressure on the airpump. If the water is 2ft deep then you will need a reasonable air pump. If it is deeper then a water pump might be a better option otherwise get a really big airpump or high pressure airpump.
 
Off to the Lfs to get an air pump. I suppose it would be best to get a pond type as the butt is outdoors (approx 5 meters from a electrical socket) or use a pwerful pump with a long silicone tube. The tube would need to be at least 5 meters, could this be a pressure problem?
the only problem you will have is to do with the actual depth of the water container. The deeper the water the more back pressure on the airpump. If the water is 2ft deep then you will need a reasonable air pump. If it is deeper then a water pump might be a better option otherwise get a really big airpump or high pressure airpump.

I can see the problem, it`s about three feet deep.

Link:
Sankey Slimline Water Store

Edit: Asuming I can get a pump to agitate the water, after a water change and refilled can the water still be left in the butt for a week until the next water change or would it be best to refill a certain time before the next use, i.e, 1, 2, 3 days etc.
 
You can have an airstone only half way in the water. This will still circulate and aerate it. Or you can use a water pump to circulate it and to pump the water up to the tanks to fill them up. Just use a length of hose and attach it to the pump outlet. Then once the tanks are full disconnect the hose and leave the pump to circulate the water.

I just refill my holding tanks after they get used. If I only use half the water one time I simply top it up. If I use all the water I fill it up completely. This way I have plenty of water whenever I need it.
 
Just use a length of hose and attach it to the pump outlet. Then once the tanks are full disconnect the hose and leave the pump to circulate the water.

That sounds like the best option. :thumbs: I guess during the winter months it could be a bit of a pain in the backside...freezing cold water directly in the tank. ????
 
depends on where the container is kept. If it's outside it will get cold but inside shouldn't be an issue. If you are really concerned put an aquarium heater in it and wrap the container in insulation to minimise heat loss.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top