Wasting Disease In Platys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alexpb22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I absolutely love Platys but I don't seem to have much luck with them. I currently have three in my tank which started out at about eight but all but the three current ones got that wasting disease where they get all thin, sunken bellies and then die.

I've just suffered a loss of fish and when all is back to normal wanted to add a load of Platys to my tank but if they're all going to get this wasting disease after a month or so, there isn't really much point.

Has anyone managed to crack this yet and fix a fish once they have gotten this? From what I can gather it seems to be fairly common in livebearers including Guppies or has anyone managed to prevent it?

I would love to get some next time at my LFS but if they are all going to die fairly swiftly it makes me extremely reluctant.

Info wise I have hardwater which is fine for Platys.

Have you considered a different source?

I've had 4 platy in my tank for about 6 months now and had no problems.

I'll agree with Eagle and say find another source, maybe your LFS has a batch of unhealthy fish.

Really, do you think it could just been down to source? I have so many articles of people having this problem that I assumed it was more widespread.

I will try another source though as my LFS which is one of the main ones in London is making me slightly cautious. I do often see dead fish or sick looking fish in their tanks and it often seems a bit murky in there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back