Want to change filters but don’t know to what

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Actually all filters require time to be cleaned and maintained and all have their pros and cons.
But canister filter will definitely take the most time to clean due to the many layers inside the canister.

Though internal filters and sponge filters are easier to maintain due to having fewer filter pads/layers, they often leave some debris inside the tank making it more messy.
If you are someone who is very particular about perfect water clarity, you may not like these filters.

Anyway if you are following Colin's idea, just make sure you get big sponges for the beneficial bacteria to grow on them.
The bigger the sponge area, the more bacteria it can hold.
Depending on your number of fish, I think you may need at least 3 big sponges or two big internal filters or a combination of both.

If you are looking for internal filters, look for internal filters with big compartment where you can transfer some of your old filter medias to the new filters.
This will help your filters to cycle faster or immediately.

Eheim Biopower:

The Best Internal Aquarium Filters for 2020

Which Internal Filter Is Best For Your Tank? (Top Picks and Reviews – 2020)

I used Aquael Turbo 500 filter in the past.
Though I like this filter because it has a big compartment for me to put any kind of media, the sponge at the bottom kept releasing debris into the water.

This video is from Australia....LOL

There are a few different models.

Thank you Colin, will this be enough filteration for my size tank?
One powerhead with 2 quick filters attached should be heaps for the tank. You can even have 2 powerheads with quick filters if you like, but I would start with one and see how dirty the sponge gets. If it clogs up quickly (within a week or two), then get another one.

So I ended up getting AquaOne’s Moray 480 powerhead filter and an IFXE 150 internal maxi filter. Together they push through 1320L/hr. When I opened the canister filter up to get media from it to seed the new filter I found 5 little fry swimming around :sad: They are now happy and safe and the tank. I’m just about lost with positioning of the filters. I have the powerhead at one end of the tank and the filter at the other end of the tank on the opposite side of the powerhead. Is this correct or is there another way I can do this? Overall everyone seems a lot happier with the new filters

Do you have any live plants?

Yeah I have a well planted tank. Jungle Val, ambulia and narrow ludwigia
Would you have a picture of the tank please? Just to gauge how heavily planted, are they growing well?

Would you have a picture of the tank please? Just to gauge how heavily planted, are they growing well?

I have moved plants around since this photo but this is how heavily planted it is. I have for now positioned the filter on the left front side and the powerhead on the right side on the far corner up behind the Val

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back