Want To Add Some Color...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Toxic Dover

Reaction score
Writers get "writer's block", we get "stocking block", haha.

I've got a 75 gallon freshwater tank up and running (has been up and running for 8 months or so). The current stocking is 2 angelfish (currently about 3 - 3.25" from fin to fin), 5 Australian rainbows, 9 cherry barbs, 3 panda cories, and 1 clown pleco. I've been wanting to put some more fish in lately, as it's been a while since I've had any new residents. I'm wanting something that will give the tank a pop of color, but I'm running into some compatibility issues. Either the angels will eventually eat them (neon and cardinal tetras) or they will terrorize the angels (any mid sized cichlid imaginable).

SO... My question is this: Given my current stocking, what else can I add that will be okay with the two angels? It's a good sized tank, a few hiding places now and more will be added once I get a chance to re-scape it. Preferably looking for a schooling fish that will be able to avoid becoming angel supper later on in life... My only thoughts so far are a couple Bolivian or German blue rams (2 of each maybe? eventually?), buenos aires tetras (nippy?), or finding some good sized cardinal tetras in my area that don't have fin rot... Any ideas? I'm open to ANYTHING. Thanks guys!

I'm a huge fan of Bolivian Rams. I've never kept them with angels before but it seems like a good match. The rams are peaceful and do well in community tanks.

What about a nice shoal of red line torpedo barbs? They have amazing colour, loads of character, and keep themselves to themselves.

Edit spelling

I like the idea of Bolivian Rams as well :) A group of 4 or so would work nice :)

Wills

What about rosy barbs, or red phantom tetra - I think they would be big enough to stand up to the angels, but I'd wait to get confirmation from someone whose done it.

What about a nice shoal of red line torpedo barbs? They have amazing colour, loads of character, and keep themselves to themselves.

Edit spelling

Oh, I like the red lines! Around here they're always labeled as "roseline sharks", so I've always dismissed them as an option since sharks are a bit temperamental. I will definitely look into these!

I like the idea of Bolivian Rams as well
smile.png
A group of 4 or so would work nice
smile.png

Wills

I think 4 would be great in this tank :)

What about rosy barbs, or red phantom tetra - I think they would be big enough to stand up to the angels, but I'd wait to get confirmation from someone whose done it.

Rosy barbs was actually on my curiosity list, but I wasn't sure because I've read mixed reports of them being nippy and agressive. I'll do a bit more research but I love the idea of them!

From what I've read about them, as long as you have them in proper numbers (at least 6) there are no problems. But, there's no reason to rush into something.

Another option might be the five-banded barb. They look like tigers, but are a bit longer in the body. They are far less aggressive, and I would have had them in my home community tank, but I couldn't find them anywhere.

5 banded barbs would be an excellent choice actually. They look amazing like their tiger cousins, but have the ability to behave, like their oddessa or rosey cousins.

Red line torpedo barbs are often sold under "nick name" labels like torpedo sharks, or, red line sharks because they look like sharks. I've also had someone tell me they do better by themselves too, just like a shark. But they are barbs and will thrive in numbers. I'm currently on the look out for some of these fish just now, hopefully after new years out he way.....

Redlines probably wouldnt be the best mix, they are Sub Tropical really, and definately want lower temperature than your other species, they will tolerate warmer temperatures but they will never be 'amazing' as such and it will shorten lifespan.

I think a nice sized shoal of a larger tetra would be nice rather than larger fish like rainbows...

I personally wouldnt bother with Cardinals, they dont shoal very well and you risk the angels eating them anyway!

Some of my favourites that I have kept with angels before are:

Harlequins (best shoaling fish)
Rummynose Tetras (best shoaling fish)
Red PhantomTetras
Rosy Tetras
White Fin Bentosi Tetra (aka Ornate Tetra I think... similar to rosy but much nicer fins!)
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Rhombo Barbs (one of the best coloured barbs IMO and they arent even aggressive :) )
Glowlight Danios (personally I fand thee danios do far better in warm water! If you can findgood sized ones... they look incredible!)

Ok so maybe these two arent bright colours but they shoal fantastically well and have the flash of blue eyes there!

Emerald Eye Rasbora
Rice Fish (i love Daisy's Rice Fish!)

Or smaller shoaling fish aside....

There is nothing stopping you having a shoal of Platies or Swordtails!! Although if it were me, I would have a nice big shoal of whichver tetra/rasbora/ricefish etc that takes your fancy and a nice trio (or maybe 5) Swordtails. Swordtails get a little bigger and shoal far better than platies and the safety of knowing your angels and chosen tetras will eat babies! :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back