Want New Rocks Need Some Help

mark7616

potatoes
Reaction score
ive decided that after spending nearly £100 on rock that i dont like it and that the multi colours dont bring out the colours in the fish i was looking at the beach today and it has rocks the same as what tanks alot has in his tank if i boiled these could i use them in my tank also there going to be heave so how do i put them in my tank?

mark,what tanks a lot has in his tank is more natural to lake malawi than anything else, only imagine the bolders are bigger than a house. all this tuffa and ocean rock, volcanic rock, none of its natural. I have spent the day looking for large cobbles but no joy, so I hope what I have is the next best thing. I will unveil my new set up later when it is finished. but I have to say now, I dont regret all the hard work in re aranging my tank, dont think I could get it better!

well i have decided im going with these rocks from the beach as they look nice and smooth and rounded so will i be ok to add them to my tank just boil them for a bit cause they are from the beach.

yes, i would boil any kind of rock before you put it in to your tank.

thats good im going down there tonight to pick up a load here mate you only over the water you should jump on the ferry and get yourself some rock have a day out over here and sail back.

be carefull mark as there are some things that look like large pebbles but they are actually balls of sediment, there hard but if you bash them first you will find out. I would come over mate but Ive just sold my fishing boat.

I suggest that you read the pinned rock topic (see sig) :nod:

Dont put anything from the beach in your tank as it will make it salty you can use rocks from rivers and streams though.

I used sand from the beach for my tangs. All i did was that i washed it, after 3 years still no sick fish.

I think the best reason to buy rocks in nature is that they usually look better (more natural) and best of all they are free. :)

Here is an underwater photo from malawi btw:

underwater1.jpg

well went towards the beach and five minutes from my house as i drove along the side of a mountain i saw a water fall with big piles of rocks and they were just the sort im after so now its safe i have no salty beach ones and there perfect here is a couple of pics of them i will be putting them in on friday when i introduce my new fish im just praying my tank can support it as they are heavy but tanksalot seems to have done ok.

this is my pile of rock that i got.

this is just so you can see the size of the larger ones i have lots of varying sizes so i can make small and large hidey holes.

i was looking at the beach today and it has rocks the same as what tanks alot has in his tank if i boiled these could i use them in my tank also there going to be heave so how do i put them in my tank?

Hi Mark, Looks like you have had a very productive evening as thats a nice pile of rock you got there. You are putting them in on friday, I would say that you will need every hour till then to boil that lot. I hope you have a couple of big pots and a couple of beers to pass the time.

It takes forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.................................. But it will look great when your done. I want to see pics by saturday morning and no later :)

post-18922-1144108750.jpg

It looks like limestone, is it limestone? or what is it?

my wife will be boiling them in pots tomorrow i dont have a clue what rock it is limestone is crumbly though so it isnt that

Look forward to seeing those go in they look really good I`m sure the Fish will be happy with them aswell.

Getting the rocks right in a Mbuna tank seems to be the hardest part , I`m struggling to decide what to do myself when I get my tank Holey Rock/Ocean rock or whatever you want to call it looks easier to stack and easier to create hiding places but Large Cobbles/Large Stones maybe look more natural and smoother and better for the fish. I`d be worried about the weight or if they slipped and broke the tank.

Keep the updates coming Mark. Good to see your wife knows her place !

Nick

i cant see anything that looks like it so it rock to me i put vinigar on it and it did nothing so im happy. Nick i would say pebbles i had types of different rock and went off it im just worried about my tank being able to support the weight.

Most reactions

Back