Walstad Jar

OP
Mick85

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Your jar is definitely a success @Mick85 👌
Could you please tell me what bulb do you use (spectrum and lumens) ?
It's literally just an LED desk lamp I got from Officeworks. Think it's about 5w but I could be wrong. Does the job either way!

vanalisa

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
These are so pretty and interesting.
I have several tanks already, so
I would love to start a terrarium.
I like mosses and fern-ish things.
Some day...

OP
Mick85

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Well the jar is in my office at work and we're in lockdown again so not much has been happening with it! I added about 6 Red Cherry shrimp to it because the crystal reds seem to like to hang out at the back all the time. Have given it a bit of a trim and done a water change too. Also got a new light for it which is bright white instead of warm white so gives it a bit of a different look. I'll snap a photo next time I go into the office!

OP
Mick85

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I've actually started a little business making walstad jars/bowls. I advertised about a week ago on Facebook marketplace and I've got 4 orders already! Here's the beginnings of the first one.
20210816_162821.jpg

20210816_162827.jpg

OP
Mick85

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Came in to the office today after a week at home and the plants are going nuts again! I gave them a trim back a couple of weeks ago and it's about due for another trim, or I might just let it go jungle style haha. I like the new light on it too, it doesn't make the jar look yellow like the other light.

20210820_113009.jpg

20210820_121424.jpg

Last edited:

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Came in to the office today after a week at home and the plants are going nuts again! I gave them a trim back a couple of weeks ago and it's about due for another trim, or I might just let it go jungle style haha. I like the new light on it too, it doesn't make the jar look yellow like the other light.
That is the Kelvin rating of the globe. Warm lights produce a yellow orange glow and have a Kelvin rating around 3000-4000K (K is for Kelvin). These lights have mostly yellow and red wavelengths of light.

Cool lights have a higher Kelvin rating (around 5000-6500K) and have blue, red and yellow wavelengths of light and produce a clear white light.

Natural sunlight from our sun has yellow, green, red, blue and ultraviolet wavelengths of light, and has a Kelvin rating around 5500-6500K.

OP
Mick85

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Eexpensive but very cool
Everything aquarium related is expensive here, unfortunately. If you can find a pea puffer here the cheapest I've seen is about $180 whereas in other countries they're only a few dollars.

Most reactions