Walstad Jar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Since i set up my planted filterless shrimp bowl I've been itching to do something new. So now I've started putting together a walstad jar which I'll probably put some shrimp and snails in but this one will definitely go with me to my office! Originally the shrimp bowl was meant to be for my office but it's so damn heavy even with just a bit of water in it and because of the shape of the bowl I'm worried everything will slide around and mess up the bowl in the car on the way there.

So the Jar I'm using is around 6L.
20210506_153856.jpg

Sifted some dirt from the garden to get all the rocks/sticks etc out. (Hope my wife doesn't see i used her sieve lol)
20210506_160811.jpg
Then i added a nice thick layer of gravel/amazonia aquasoil mix. (Hope my daughter doesn't see i used her peppa pig bucket lol)
20210506_163813.jpg
20210506_164212.jpg
Just playing around with rocks atm, not sure what i want to use for hardscape but I've got a few ideas I'll play around with until i find something i like.
20210506_164645.jpg

Will update as things get done!

Attachments

• 20210506_161444.jpg
    20210506_161444.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 89
I ordered some plants online for the jar, not sure how i'm going to fit this all in but i'll give it a go haha
Whatever i can't fit i'll put into my community tank.

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' TC
Bacopa monnieri
Cardamine lyrata
Eleocharis acicularis
Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan
Limnophila sp. Mini Vietnam
Mayaca fluviatilis
Mini Taiwan Moss
Rotala sp. Colorata
Staurogyne repens

Followed this thread! I’m interested in Walstad method for a long time but I have never believed that it was actually sustainable.

Keep on posting! Wanted to see how it turns out!

This is my first attempt at a proper walstad method tank so I'm keen to see how it turns out too! Light and plants should arrive this week so I'll update when it's all done.

Plants came in today so i got to it straight away. I think i went a bit overboard with the order so I've got heaps of leftover which I'll end up putting in my community tank.
20210520_155943.jpg

Here's the end result! Looks a bit messy but I'm pretty happy with it so far.
20210520_200342.jpg
20210520_200351.jpg

I've got it sitting on a lazy susan too so i can spin it around 360 degrees which is an idea i got off a YouTube video. Makes it so much easier to view everything and for cleaning. Now i just gotta get it to my office without destroying it in the car haha

Can’t it be both..? I’m thinking that the Walstad is the “how” it works, and the scaling is the aesthetics..? ??‍♀️
Yeh of course. I just decided against that layout because it didn't leave much room for planting stems.

Finally brought it into work and set it up at my desk!
20210526_083958.jpg
The light is just temporary, it's warm white and i don't like how it makes the jar look. I've got a white light LED lamp coming!

The Walstad Method is a method where organic, no-additive soil is placed on the bottom of the tank and capped with a gravel (or sand) layer. Once plants are added, the plant roots will reach the soil and get lots of nutrients that will fuel them to grow.
Just as my AR mini has done!
20210601_113317.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back