Vortex Diatom filter/System 1 filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Coloursfly

Reaction score
Well, this may not seem like a newbie question but it is ;)

I have done a bit of reading on tropical tanks recently, and to 'clean & polish' a tank I read that diatom filters were amazing. I have a bit of cloudy water, and recent additions seems to shows some spot which appear to be ich. I have salinated my tank and raised the temp and that appears to be working. I recently purchased a Vortex diatom filter and a system 1 filter used. I can use my system 1 filter currently, but with only carbon/wool and this does a decent job of speed cleaning particles in the water. However, I bought this to use as a diatom filter and well, being a newbie tried to use diatom in the filter setup. Ooops. Ejected 3 teaspoons of it into my tank. Messy, but I've got most of it out with no ill effects.

The real question here is 1) does anyone know where you can buy a diatom filter for a system 1 filter and 2) where one can find a jar gasket for the Vortex filter?

I seem to be stuck at both those ends, and thought the insight of the fishing forums may reveal some secrets that Google currently doesn't.

Any help is appreciated. I also realize these companies have gone the way of the dodo many moons ago, but hoped there might be old stock somewhere, or someone sitting on something they may wish to part with (or even have a workaround they have used).

Trevor

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back