Very Old White Cloud

rich

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sheffield, England
Just thought I would tell you about 1 of my white cloud minnows. I bought 5 way back in July 2002, one of which had a mark on his side. Over the years the others have past on but this one is still going. He looks very old, his mark has grown and he is a bit raggedy but still chases round with the others!

This is now probably the kiss of death.
 
cool hope he keeps going strong
 
I have a white coud that I've had since..summer 2001 methinks, maybe just before.
My mum started a ~ 4gallon betta tank just before we left on holiday, and he was one of the 3 white clouds to share this tiny tank with the betta.
Came back from holidays to find the betta dead and the water cloudy. We hadnt cycled the tank properly, just followed the instructions on the stress zyme, test strips revealed lots of ammonia.
The white clouds then went into my mixed goldfish/subtropical tank, and survived 'clem', the goldfish who ate about 10 neons, killed a moor and a fantail and tried to eat a corydoras before I rehomed him.
I added a heater, and swapped the goldfish for even more unsuitable catfish (2 S.decorusand 1 S.eupterus). Then after nearly a year our water pipes got changed, killing all my fish with from copper (I presume) apart from the 3 white clouds and the S.eupterus (I think 1 zebra danio survived too). For a month or two they all lived extremly cramped in the 4gallon again while I tried 'maturing' the bigger tank using fish food and testing the water.

So yes, I'd say they are very hardy fish.

After that everything went fine, until one of the white clouds died eating a pea.
The remaining two went in the new tank just over a year ago.
I lost a second one just before christmas due to old age, but I still have one left.
His body is a bit crooked, his fins a bit taty and his eyes seem to now be perminantly cloudy, but he's still eating and seems pretty happy amongst my 10 zebra danios.

I'll try get a pic of my old timer later, would love to see your old guy, probably younger looking than mine :rolleyes: .
 
'Glad to see(??)' he has not been kept in the same tank for all those years - variety is the spice of life. He probably tells the danios what it was like in the bad old days before you knew properly what you where doing.

p.s. I had another white cloud that jumped out of the tank, fell 3 feet to the ground on marble surface. I then scooped him back up on a piece of paper and he survived for another 2 years!
 
I have a white coud that I've had since..summer 2001 methinks, maybe just before.
My mum started a ~ 4gallon betta tank just before we left on holiday, and he was one of the 3 white clouds to share this tiny tank with the betta.
Came back from holidays to find the betta dead and the water cloudy. We hadnt cycled the tank properly, just followed the instructions on the stress zyme, test strips revealed lots of ammonia.
The white clouds then went into my mixed goldfish/subtropical tank, and survived 'clem', the goldfish who ate about 10 neons, killed a moor and a fantail and tried to eat a corydoras before I rehomed him.
I added a heater, and swapped the goldfish for even more unsuitable catfish (2 S.decorusand 1 S.eupterus). Then after nearly a year our water pipes got changed, killing all my fish with from copper (I presume) apart from the 3 white clouds and the S.eupterus (I think 1 zebra danio survived too). For a month or two they all lived extremly cramped in the 4gallon again while I tried 'maturing' the bigger tank using fish food and testing the water.

So yes, I'd say they are very hardy fish.

After that everything went fine, until one of the white clouds died eating a pea.
The remaining two went in the new tank just over a year ago.
I lost a second one just before christmas due to old age, but I still have one left.
His body is a bit crooked, his fins a bit taty and his eyes seem to now be perminantly cloudy, but he's still eating and seems pretty happy amongst my 10 zebra danios.

I'll try get a pic of my old timer later, would love to see your old guy, probably younger looking than mine :rolleyes: .


OMG three-fingers I just lost a White Cloud to a pea as well.
I know this is an old thread, but just in case any WCM owners don't know about what's evidently a chronic high risk, I hope they'll see this and take warning.
I wish I'd had one.
Pea-feed day not long ago, I put in tons of bits for the greedy little beggers, squashed a half for an adorable baby bristlenose who's staying in the tank right now, noticed one of the WCM was carrying an impossibly large piece in her mouth, knew she couldn't possibly swallow it - only to find her later along the surface with the pea appearing to be pressing right through her throat, obviously weakening rapidly.
In my case, when I took her out of the Clove Oil anesthetic solution, I couldn't see obvious gill movement, but hoped if I moved fast...
I tried to reach in with the pin I had ready, since the tweezers were obviously much too large to reach in that tiny mouth once it had relaxed and couldn't snag the pea chunk, never mind get it out.
I've never felt like such a failure, and that's against numerous examples.
I lost her and I can only hope others can avoid the same thing.
I would never have believed she'd actually manage to even get that in her mouth, and a large-scale pea warning should evidently be issued with each sale...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top