Very High Ph And Mystery Disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
( 100 litre tank )There is a mystery disease spreading through my tank, and i think it is something to do with my high pH? I have just tested my water and my pH is 8.5! :crazy: I do weekly 60% water changes and I have not lost any fish for months and months, until now :sad: Only my platies seem to be getting affected, and I have lost 2 in the last 2 days, with another one looking pretty bad. They seem to get really skinny, and I mean REALLY skinny, it looks awful :sick: they look like this for quite a while and then die.

Can someone please tell me how to lower my pH?

It has always been quite high, (never THIS high...) but my fish seemed fine, so as they say, 'why fix something if it isn't broken' right?

Also any ideas on what this disease is? how to fix it? I have some internal parasite meds but I have cories so I cannot use salt... Do you think this disease and my extremely high pH are linked or not?

Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 10
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.5 :crazy:

You don't ever want to mess with your pH. A stable pH is more important than trying to raise or lower it. I doubt your fish are ill due to your pH. Sounds like your fish may have internal parasites. One of my Rosy Barbs had a belly that looked like it was sunken in. Treated with Tetra Parasite Guard and it cured him.

You don't ever want to mess with your pH. A stable pH is more important than trying to raise or lower it. I doubt your fish are ill due to your pH. Sounds like your fish may have internal parasites. One of my Rosy Barbs had a belly that looked like it was sunken in. Treated with Tetra Parasite Guard and it cured him.

Thankyou, you just answered all of my questions! :good: I will add the internal parasite right away. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back